Page 5 of 12 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast

Default Re: Canada Border To Remain Closed…Probably.

Quote Originally Posted by Ian View Post
    I bought in replacement stock from NZ, my neighbour decided to forfit his honey crop this year and split his hives all summer.

He is living on bread and butter this winter. Hard to live off nothing

It was two and a half weeks of timely terrible spring weather that killed off our bee stock this past year. Nobody escaped it
    Your government is saying that there's a serious pesticide contamination issue.

I'm truly sorry to hear about your misfortune.

My point remains, closed borders are a big part of the problem.

Wlc the NZ packages could not have been better. Canada does just fine without the US bees. Bottom line we don't need them.

Quote Originally Posted by Haraga View Post
    Wlc the NZ packages could not have been better. Canada does just fine without the US bees. Bottom line we don't need them.
    Yet, Canadian beekeepers have filed a federal suit since the U.S. package ban caused them a loss in income. Papers are currently being filed to make it a class action suit.

Obviously, you don't speak for ALL Canadian beekeepers.

I hope that I've made my point.

Quote Originally Posted by WLC View Post
    Yet, Canadian beekeepers have filed a federal suit since the U.S. package ban caused them a loss in income.
    Here is more information on that lawsuit.
    Field LLP has commenced a $200-million proposed class action lawsuit on behalf of Canadian beekeepers against the Federal Government for its alleged negligence in maintaining a prohibition on the importation of live honeybee colonies from the mainland United States after December 31, 2006.The plaintiffs are 3 Western Canadian beekeeping operations, which collectively maintain about 8,000 honeybee colonies.

http://www.fieldlaw.com/practicearea...?practiceID=89
    Note that the plaintiffs are three (3) Canadian beekeepers, who have about 8,000 hives. Compare that number to Ian's estimate that there are 600,000 to 700,000 hives in Canada. So the plaintiffs represent significantly less than 2% of Canadian hives.

Looks more like a law firm trolling for fees to me.

Last edited by Rader Sidetrack; 11-06-2013 at 07:14 PM. Reason: typo
    Graham
    USDA Zone 7A Elevation 1400 ft

Class Action means that others may enjoin.

So, how many can enjoin? Hmmm.

Not I , this is the wrong way of going about it. We need to follow consensus , not bull heading the process by a few rouges

Wlc you are right I don't speak for everyone. You keep your bees south of the 49th and we will keep ours north of the 49th. If and when we need your bees we will open the border. I am assuming that you know what the 49th is.

Haraga, I think most every beekeeper in Canada fears the fact that exact thing, if the process opens the boarder even a little bit, it will not be long before we Canadian beekeepers loose control of our own precious foraging landscape

Yes Ian. All we need is 200k hives coming up here and lowering the pollination contract prices. In my area on canola seed we get 400 an acre for leaf cutters and honey bees. We don't need that price to drop. The reason it is at that price is because of a limited supply of bees.

I'd be okay as for holding my territory. We farm a lot of land and I know my land owners in my area pretty well. It would just take a longer coffee conversation to explain why I need to hold my area exclusively to myself.

Haraga, how many honeybee hives do you stock per acre on that pollination contract? And what field distribution do you manage ?

"if the process opens the boarder even a little bit, it will not be long before we Canadian beekeepers loose control of our own precious foraging landscape "

I don't think so, American migratory beekeeping outfits would be classified as foreign investors in Canada ,and would be subject to our gov't rules and taxes,(same as a Canadian taking bees south to pollinate) it would require them to make a substantial investment in Canada to reap any rewards.And don't think for one minute you will pollinate almonds for free in the good old USA
    As for the border opening to US packages, our bureaucrats can't look after what we have here now and what we are currently importing.There is some type of parasite ,mite on NZ bees being imported and the CFIA, is ,it would seem blind

Working under the "open boarder" seneario , US operators would be able to contract their hives to Canadian Producers though? Right or wrong ?

Quote Originally Posted by irwin harlton View Post
    There is some type of parasite ,mite on NZ bees being imported and the CFIA, is ,it would seem blind
    Not Tropilailics clarea is it? I hope not.
    Mark Berninghausen "Ships at a distance have every man's wish on board." Zora Neale Hurston

it is not Tropilailics

Under Section 160 of the Health of Animals Act - the key wording is 'will cause or likely to cause disease or the spread of disease.

Quote Originally Posted by Ian View Post
    Working under the "open boarder" seneario , US operators would be able to contract their hives to Canadian Producers though? Right or wrong ?

Right,

and Canadian beekeepers would be able to treat their bees to some almond pollen and nectar in February for a fraction of today price...If not for free.

Yes an open border might create some price movement. But most (all) things were good when our borders were completely open. It would be win win to open things up again. I think.?!

A few random points:

Not all the bees in the US go to CA. There are lots of beekeepers who do not do almonds or do a very limited #. Canadian bees would probably not all go south and not all of those would go to CA.

600,000 hives is about what the state of North Dakota supports. Canada has about that amount in the whole country. Any real pressure on bee forage seems unlikely given the land mass involved. 1/10 forage is is use in Canada? I'll bet its closer to 1/1000.

AFB, EFB, mean bees, beetle problems, restant pests? Nope. Not really anything going on here.

Killing of bees used to happen in the US also. If I didn't kill or sell hives every year I would own 9 million hives today. And so would everyone else. Managed hives grow at a fast rate. Comments about reducing hive counts being unethical are uneducated or inexperienced comments.

Quote Originally Posted by ryan View Post
    600,000 hives is about what the state of North Dakota supports. Canada has about that amount in the whole country. Any real pressure on bee forage seems unlikely given the land mass involved. 1/10 forage is is use in Canada? I'll bet its closer to 1/1000.
    Look at an agricultural map, not a roads map. Lots of trees, rock and , snow LOL

Quote Originally Posted by ryan View Post
    AFB, EFB, mean bees, beetle problems, restant pests? Nope. Not really anything going on here.
    You promise ?

It appears that the closing of the boarders is more politics and the fear of spreading disease is the pressure to support the politics. Can someone explain why Manitoba is so rich in nectar flow or is that it is the best of what Canada has and the rest is poor?
    Brian Cardinal
    Zone 5a, Practicing non-intervention beekeeping

Page 5 of 12 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast