Page 1 of 12 12311 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 222
  1. #1
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    Utica, NY
    Posts
    9,235

    Default Canada Border To Remain Closed…Probably.

    CATCH THE BUZZ

    Alan Harman
    The Canadian Food Inspection Agency is refusing to release its risk assessment on bees from the United States, but media reports say the agency has concluded the border should remain closed because of four serious risks from the U.S., including Africanized honeybees and medication-resistant pests.
    I am surprised they are concerned about Africanized honeybees and am not surprised they are worried about medication-resistant pests. I was under the impression that varroa did exist in Canada though. How do they keep the bees from crossing over the boarder naturally?

    http://home.ezezine.com/1636/1636-20...2.archive.html
    Brian Cardinal
    Zone 5a, Practicing non-intervention beekeeping

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Jul 2013
    Location
    Mirabel, Québec, Canada
    Posts
    423

    Default Re: Canada Border To Remain Closed…Probably.

    It's also the small hive beetle antibiotic-resistant AFB.

    I'm not done with the document, yet, but I must admit I'm wondering how AFB and resistant AFB strains are only a concern with bee packages, and not all bee exports whatever the form.

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Location
    Brasher Falls, NY, USA
    Posts
    26,613

    Default Re: Canada Border To Remain Closed…Probably.

    Seems like Canadians would welcome AFB resistant bees more than they would fear antibiotic resistant AFB. Resistance or susceptibility to AFB varies in samples across NY, why would one expect the same thing to not occur in Canada too?

    Do the different Provinces test their AFB samples for susceptibility or resistance as is done by the Beltville Bee Lab?
    Mark Berninghausen "That which works, persists."

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Apr 2013
    Location
    Vancouver, BC, Canada
    Posts
    1,258

    Default Re: Canada Border To Remain Closed…Probably.

    I am in Canada and have seen varroa here
    Janne....first hives April 2013, 19 hives, treat, plant zone 8b, at sea level, latitude 49.13, longitude 123.06

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    Utica, NY
    Posts
    9,235

    Default Re: Canada Border To Remain Closed…Probably.

    Quote Originally Posted by sqkcrk View Post
    Seems like Canadians would welcome AFB resistant bees more than they would fear antibiotic resistant AFB.
    The organisms that have built up a resistance to man made antibiotics also have built up resistance to the bee's immune system so it is almost guaranteed to get other bees sick. Mrsa is a huge problem in our hospitals today. People who have no infection at all going into the hospital for something non life threatening get it and die. The logic of trying to sterilize our environment is biting us in the butt.
    Brian Cardinal
    Zone 5a, Practicing non-intervention beekeeping

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Location
    Brasher Falls, NY, USA
    Posts
    26,613

    Default Re: Canada Border To Remain Closed…Probably.

    Quote Originally Posted by WBVC View Post
    I am in Canada and have seen varroa here
    How about Small Hive Beetle? I know that there are SHB in Quebec. BC is probably the exception when it comes to varroa.
    Mark Berninghausen "That which works, persists."

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Location
    Brasher Falls, NY, USA
    Posts
    26,613

    Default Re: Canada Border To Remain Closed…Probably.

    Quote Originally Posted by Acebird View Post
    The organisms that have built up a resistance to man made antibiotics also have built up resistance to the bee's immune system so it is almost guaranteed to get other bees sick. Mrsa is a huge problem in our hospitals today. People who have no infection at all going into the hospital for something non life threatening get it and die. The logic of trying to sterilize our environment is biting us in the butt.
    Maybe I should have used the word Hygienic.

    AFB cases are at an all time low in the USA. How much of this is due to antibiotic use? Antibiotics have been around quite some time. So it probably isn't the use of antibiotics as much as it may be knowledge and management techniques and hygienic bees.

    That's why I don't see why Canadians wouldn't want American queens.
    Mark Berninghausen "That which works, persists."

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    Utica, NY
    Posts
    9,235

    Default Re: Canada Border To Remain Closed…Probably.

    Quote Originally Posted by sqkcrk View Post
    AFB cases are at an all time low in the USA. How much of this is due to antibiotic use?
    Or it could be that beekeepers stopped using antibiotics and burned the hives instead. Where do you think beekeeping would bee if they hand not stop using antibiotics?
    That's why I don't see why Canadians wouldn't want American queens.
    I was under the impression they can get American queens.
    Brian Cardinal
    Zone 5a, Practicing non-intervention beekeeping

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Location
    Rader, Greene County, Tennessee, USA
    Posts
    5,888

    Default Re: Canada Border To Remain Closed…Probably.

    From the link in post #1:
    Canada closed the border to U.S. packages in 1987. Since 1993 it has allowed honeybee queens to be imported from the U.S.
    ultracrepidarian >> noting or pertaining to a person who criticizes, judges, or gives advice outside of his expertise

  10. #10
    Join Date
    Jul 2013
    Location
    Mirabel, Québec, Canada
    Posts
    423

    Default Re: Canada Border To Remain Closed…Probably.

    Quote Originally Posted by sqkcrk View Post
    Seems like Canadians would welcome AFB resistant bees more than they would fear antibiotic resistant AFB. Resistance or susceptibility to AFB varies in samples across NY, why would one expect the same thing to not occur in Canada too?

    Do the different Provinces test their AFB samples for susceptibility or resistance as is done by the Beltville Bee Lab?
    The ban only concerns bee packages, queens are still allowed. Resistant strains of AFB are rare in Canada, except in Alberta.

    Quote Originally Posted by WBVC View Post
    I am in Canada and have seen varroa here
    We have varroa, and a some cases of varroa resistant to coumaphos or fluvalinate. However, the report states that in the US, resistance to fluvalinate is generalized, resistance to coumaphos reported in many states, as well as several reports of resistance to amitraz. On top of this, strains of varroa resistant to multiple products has also been confirmed.

    Quote Originally Posted by sqkcrk View Post
    How about Small Hive Beetle? I know that there are SHB in Quebec. BC is probably the exception when it comes to varroa.
    Québec is SHB-free. We've had a couple of reports some years ago, but the situation was controlled and no further reports have been made since. The government has a heavy watch on the border to make sure it doesn't cross over.

    Quote Originally Posted by sqkcrk View Post
    Maybe I should have used the word Hygienic.

    AFB cases are at an all time low in the USA. How much of this is due to antibiotic use? Antibiotics have been around quite some time. So it probably isn't the use of antibiotics as much as it may be knowledge and management techniques and hygienic bees.

    That's why I don't see why Canadians wouldn't want American queens.
    Queen imports aren't banned, only bee packages.

    Quote Originally Posted by Acebird View Post
    Or it could be that beekeepers stopped using antibiotics and burned the hives instead. Where do you think beekeeping would bee if they hand not stop using antibiotics?


    I was under the impression they can get American queens.
    We can get american queens, at least from some of your states. It's my understanding that people only bother to look for alternatives when the easy methods stop working, which is typically what happens when people systematically use the same chemicals all the time to fight pests or desease.

    Personally, I feel systematic and repetitive use of the same chemicals should be against the law... Product rotation should be mandatory.

  11. #11
    Join Date
    Jan 2003
    Location
    Manitoba Canada
    Posts
    5,834

    Default Re: Canada Border To Remain Closed…Probably.

    Quote Originally Posted by Dominic View Post
    Personally, I feel systematic and repetitive use of the same chemicals should be against the law... Product rotation should be mandatory.
    Rotation with ?

  12. #12
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Location
    Brasher Falls, NY, USA
    Posts
    26,613

    Default Re: Canada Border To Remain Closed…Probably.

    Quote Originally Posted by Dominic View Post
    Resistant strains of AFB are rare in Canada, except in Alberta.

    Québec is SHB-free. We've had a couple of reports some years ago, but the situation was controlled and no further reports have been made since. The government has a heavy watch on the border to make sure it doesn't cross over.
    I guess it's possible, but I find it hard to believe. SHB fly after all and they don't need bees to live. How is the government watching the border? The same way they watch for people going across the border in an illegal manner?

    When you write about resistant strains of AFB, what do you mean that they are resistant to?
    Mark Berninghausen "That which works, persists."

  13. #13
    Join Date
    Jul 2013
    Location
    Mirabel, Québec, Canada
    Posts
    423

    Default Re: Canada Border To Remain Closed…Probably.

    Quote Originally Posted by Ian View Post
    Rotation with ?
    For Varroa: rotate between amitraz, coumaphos, and fluvalinate, if you are so keen on chemicals, instead of using the cheapest of the three until it stops working. Thymol, oxalic acid, and formic acid can and should be included in the rotation, because according to the experts I heard, the acids operate on acidity, which is extremely hard for anything to adapt to. Obviously, you need to make do with what products are allowed in your country/state...

    For AFB, there's oxytetracyclin and tylosine tartrate.

    Sometimes, sure, there are no alternative products possible. But when there are, that's when rotations should be systematic.

  14. #14
    Join Date
    Jul 2013
    Location
    Mirabel, Québec, Canada
    Posts
    423

    Default Re: Canada Border To Remain Closed…Probably.

    Quote Originally Posted by sqkcrk View Post
    I guess it's possible, but I find it hard to believe. SHB fly after all and they don't need bees to live. How is the government watching the border? The same way they watch for people going across the border in an illegal manner?

    When you write about resistant strains of AFB, what do you mean that they are resistant to?
    For the SHB, they do surprise inspections in apiaries along the border. SHB presence in one's hives must be reported or face sanctions. Infested colonies were destroyed and compensations are granted when they were detected.

    As for AFB, resistance to oxytetracyclin is the concern.

  15. #15
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Location
    Brasher Falls, NY, USA
    Posts
    26,613

    Default Re: Canada Border To Remain Closed…Probably.

    Quote Originally Posted by Dominic View Post
    Infested colonies were destroyed and compensations are granted when they were detected.
    That's too bad. They are pretty much harmless to colonies and hives in the North.
    Mark Berninghausen "That which works, persists."

  16. #16
    Join Date
    Jul 2013
    Location
    Mirabel, Québec, Canada
    Posts
    423

    Default Re: Canada Border To Remain Closed…Probably.

    Quote Originally Posted by sqkcrk View Post
    That's too bad. They are pretty much harmless to colonies and hives in the North.
    If allowed to breed in the North, they'll end up acclimating themselves. Furthermore, most provinces have regulations concerning the introduction of SHB: allowing it to remain would severely compromise our ability to export bees to other provinces. I'm quite in approval of the government's decision to eradicate.

    Edit: the report states that, according to the studies, SHB can overwinter in Ontario and Québec.
    Last edited by Dominic; 11-04-2013 at 05:14 PM.

  17. #17
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Location
    Brasher Falls, NY, USA
    Posts
    26,613

    Default Re: Canada Border To Remain Closed…Probably.

    The resistance of AFB to oxytet is immaterial if you don't use it. What are the recommended best practices in Quebec when it comes to the use of oxy?
    Mark Berninghausen "That which works, persists."

  18. #18
    Join Date
    Jan 2003
    Location
    Manitoba Canada
    Posts
    5,834

    Default Re: Canada Border To Remain Closed…Probably.

    Only chemical treatment that still works is Apivar.
    Using acid treatments can have their moments but nobody hangs their hat on them

  19. #19
    Join Date
    Jul 2013
    Location
    Mirabel, Québec, Canada
    Posts
    423

    Default Re: Canada Border To Remain Closed…Probably.

    Quote Originally Posted by sqkcrk View Post
    The resistance of AFB to oxytet is immaterial if you don't use it. What are the recommended best practices in Quebec when it comes to the use of oxy?
    Some people do, so it's a concern for those. I can't really tell you what the recommended practices are, for I don't use it myself, but seems to me that it's still best to strive to have the weakest possible strains as possible, so that, should action be required, multiple options present themselves. I think a prescription from the vet is required for the use of such antibotics, though.

  20. #20
    Join Date
    Jul 2013
    Location
    Mirabel, Québec, Canada
    Posts
    423

    Default Re: Canada Border To Remain Closed…Probably.

    Quote Originally Posted by Ian View Post
    Only chemical treatment that still works is Apivar.
    Using acid treatments can have their moments but nobody hangs their hat on them
    For now. Apivar is amitraz, and cases of resistances have been identified. If you just use that, sooner or later it won't work for you either. And probably sooner than later.

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
Ads