Default Help please, Lost apivar strip

Went to remove apivar strips from 2 deeps. I could only find 1 strip in the lower deep despite fishing around the many bees. It must have slipped down between frames. I don't want to start taking out frames at this time. Would leaving the strip wherever it is down there be a problem? Has this happened to any one else? I know the instructions say strips must be removed. Thanks for any help.

Default Re: Help please, Lost apivar strip

Leaving it in will not be the end of the world. However it is considered bad practise because letting a weak dose go into the hive that the toughest mites can survive, promotes the toughest mites.

If you do not want to pull frames, my suggestion is tilt the box back, you will probably be able to remove the strip by pulling it out the bottom.
    44 years, been commercial, outfits up to 4000 hives, now 120 hives and 200 nucs as a hobby, selling bees. T (mostly).

I'm with Oldtimer. Try and fidget it out if it dropped to the bottom of the frames but if not leave it in. I've done it too!
    "My wife always wanted girls. Just not thousands and thousands of them......"

Agree with Oldtimer, tilt the super and try to access it from the underside. Place a cover cloth or old towel over the top of the super, if you are concerned about it being to cold.

Insert nails in the hole in the strips to keep them from falling between the framews. Had a few problems with dislodged strips until started using nails.
    If you always do what you always did, you'll always get what you always got!

I've used toothpicks through the holes with success.

Thanks to all who responded. I'm afraid of losing a lot of bees if we try and tip the lower deep. There was a thick layer of bees on top. We will leave it till spring. If we use the apivar next year I will for sure use anchors through the holes which is a good idea. Bamboo meat skewers should work too! The manufacturers should have beekeepers write the dircections!!