Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: What is this?

Exclamation What is this?

Checked my hive the other day and noticed a big blob of black goo just aboive the entrance reducer. The goo also goes along the top of the tiny gap be tween the reducer and the hive. The bees were furiously eating thke black stuff and buzzing very loudly....as if they were very agitated. All the bees were facing the entrance and no bees were coming nor going. I didn't have the time to get inside and look. Hopefully tomorrow. Here is a link to a few pics I managed to get. Thanks

http://imgur.com/a/Eu8KJ

Question Not sure where to put this...

I started this thread somewehere else...but I thought I might post it here for good measure. What is the black goo in the photos in the link?

http://www.beesource.com/forums/show...2-What-is-this

Default Re: Not sure where to put this...

I don't know.

Maybe you should be more patient next time?
    Mark Berninghausen "That which works, persists."

I am a bit surprised by negativity in your response...I've always been met with very pleasant people that try their best to help, and if they have nothing nice to say they do not say anything at all. I am a new beekeeper and I am quite nervous as this is my first hive. I'd thank you kindly to be a bit more nice next time you respond to a thread. Thanks and have a great night.

Anyone else that has constructive advice or can point me in the right direction please feel free to post

You seemed to be requesting a response. Apparently because you didn't get one sooner. So, prompted by your reposting, I responded honestly. I don't know what it is. How is that a negative reply?

Maybe you didn't get any Replies because no one else knows either, but they simply didn't want to say so.

Kopelia , just a little humor to lighten things up I think , if he knew what it was or could help you he would have . When you get inside to check it out let us know what you find.

I simply posted in two places because I wasn't sure if I had posted in the proper place...I took the comment "try being more patient next time?" comment to be a bit snarky and rude. That's all...if you don't know, you don't know...someone might. But thanks anyway I guess?

I interpreted the second post as covering your bases as far as getting question into the correct forum.

I have never seen anything like that but I hope someone has. Take a peek under the lid to see it's source? Pull out the reducer and see what's behind it if you want to start there?
    Please let us know.
    "Rule Three of beekeeping...Never cease to feel wonder" Laurie R. King--
    March 2010; +/- 30 hives, TF

Thanks hon...I'll let you know what I see. I am able to get to the hive tomorrow. I'll report what I see and try and get a few pics as well. Just want the best for your babees

Default Re: What is this?

At first I thought it was a black slime mold but that's usually found much further north or you. Perhaps its the resin from the knot hole above bleeding out on the inside of the box. Whatever it is, please post up what you find.

Maybe their plumbing broke and they are using the outhouse. Seriously, I have never seen that before either. It looks sticky. Does the hive smell odd; like sour or foul?
    No one famous.

Definitely sticky looking. Did not get a chance to smell it. But I'll try tomorrow when I take a look inside.

I hope this doesn't seem rude or condescending or something, but, instead of scraping it off you took a photo and Posted it? If it bothers you, and obviously it is of some concern or you wouldn't have photoed and posted it here, why didn't you deal with it after you photoed and posted? Or did you?

If it's propolis, it's the blackist propolis I have ever seen. Which wouldn't surprise me. Other than that, I have no idea. Probably harmless to the bees.

Why do you have such a small entrance? A weak colony? Did you have a robbing problem?

Could it possibly be some animal marking its territory. That is usually black and sticky

I have nothing constructive to add but I am curious.Please do let us know what you find.

Will do...beverly said it may be propolis...but would it turn that black? Heading to the hive soon, let you know what I find.

Quote Originally Posted by kopelia View Post
    Checked my hive the other day and noticed a big blob of black goo just aboive the entrance reducer. The goo also goes along the top of the tiny gap be tween the reducer and the hive. The bees were furiously eating thke black stuff and buzzing very loudly....as if they were very agitated. All the bees were facing the entrance and no bees were coming nor going. I didn't have the time to get inside and look. Hopefully tomorrow. Here is a link to a few pics I managed to get. Thanks

http://imgur.com/a/Eu8KJ
    Could it be very very dark honey? http://www.beesource.com/forums/show...k-goo-in-cells

There are several threads on this around if you hunt for them... everything from AFB to this one... is it on the frames too, or just at the opening like your picture shows.

Here is another You-Tube on someone with a similar description...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gGbfFxJ-9WM

I had a hive with a very dark red pile of propolis that was right at the front entrance. open the hive and see if everything in the hive is glued with the same color stuff. this hive seems to have a pile ready to go at all times.

Quote Originally Posted by Z-B View Post
    I had a hive with a very dark red pile of propolis that was right at the front entrance. open the hive and see if everything in the hive is glued with the same color stuff. this hive seems to have a pile ready to go at all times.
    This was exactly the case...their proplis is grayish and then goes to black. There were places where you could actually see the color transition. I really pissed them off because they had sealed the ENTIRE perimeter of the entrance reducer and I pried the whole thing out to see what the hell was behind it. Now they are working furiously to seal it back up again. Nothing smelly, or off, or foul, no dead bees, no cockroaches, or rats, mice, or weak colony, just my bees doing whatever the hell it is they decided to do with the proplis. And a completely new full frame of beautiful new comb and a whole section of brood on one side So yay! More bay-bees for me!