Default BT persistence in warm/hot climates?

Back in 2005, Jim Fischer shared some information (thanks Jim) regarding some studies done using BT in hot climates: http://www.beesource.com/forums/show...089#post120089

It's been eight years since that information was posted. What is the consensus about using BT in hot climates now? Has anybody in the deep south or hot midwest experienced good multi-year results from a single application of BT?

Thanks,
    Ed

Default Re: BT persistence in warm/hot climates?

I'm in the desert Southwest, Pima County, Marana/Tucson area.

Yes, I do have good success using Bt through more than one season. It is difficult to determine how long it actually does persist. I generally don't keep combs long enough to see, for certain, if they'll retain good Bt moth resistance by their third season, or beyond - they've most usually been sold in nucs NLT their second season.
    48 years - 50 hives - TF
    Joseph Clemens -- Website Under Constructioni

Default Should be "How to store supers"? Re: BT persistence in warm/hot climates?

Thanks for sharing your experience. I've only got a half dozen or so supers to store but I'd like to keep the moths out of them. Folks have talked about storing them "open air" so "light can get to them" with success. I wonder if that counts for our warm climate down here? Ted Kretschmann stated that that is how he does it and he's only about 75-80 miles north of me. For now I've got them strapped together with a queen excluder on each end (I knew I'd find a use for those qe's<grin>) and laying on one side so each end is open to the elements. They're on a small porch so out of direct rain but a blowing rain could reach them somewhat. I've bought some paramoth last year but just haven't been able to bring myself to use it. Moth's are definitely around here as I've got several boxes from a couple of dead-outs that are absolutely ruined so I've gotta do something. ;(

Ed