Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Default Re: Youtube videos... do the bees seem friendlier than your bees???

Actually, this guy gets a trophy. 1000+ stings.

Attachment 8119
    To everything there is a season....

My goodness, where did you find that photo?
    Mark Berninghausen
    The answers are the end. The questions are the journey. Journey on.

In an article I read, goggled it.
    http://www.cbsnews.com/video/watch/?id=6865769n

I'm working on an article that shows someone that took 2000 stings. On a not entirely unrelated note, I'm looking for an intern......
    The perils of benefactors; The blessings of parasites; Blindness blindness and sight -Joni Mitchell 'Shadows and Light'

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Gillmore View Post
    In an article I read, goggled it.
    http://www.cbsnews.com/video/watch/?id=6865769n
    Googled what?
    Mark Berninghausen

I think it was "bee stings face pictures".

deknow,
    I have a full time job, I'll have to pass on that offer. There's just not enough time.

Mike, I think I'm looking for someone with almost 3 posts on beesource...not almost 3,000
    The perils of benefactors; The blessings of parasites; Blindness blindness and sight -Joni Mitchell 'Shadows and Light'

During the nectar flow I examined my hives gloveless. The bees were quite gentle, some crawling on my hands, and I never got stung. However, looking back, I think I was foolish, and will not be doing that anymore. Because of the stories I have seen in BEESOURCE, I now know that bad things can happen FAST.

PHil

I would not encourage anyone to not use a veil if they didn't feel comfortable.

Gloves are a different story...you will learn to handle the bees better without gloves. I would encourage almost any beekeeper (that isn't allergic) to practice without gloves. ...none of this is to say that one should not have gloves handy, nor should one hesitate to put them on if needed...but you will be better at handling the bees if you learn to do so without gloves.

deknow

A nice stepping stone to going without gloves would be to use nitrile gloves. The bees can still sting through them, but it does offer some protection if they get rowdy. It causes you to really slow down and handle frames with more care. That can have a calming effect on the colony while you are working them.

I've never used the nitrile gloves...I've thought about getting some mostly to keep the propolis off my hands.

I do think the standard leather gauntlets are a terrible choice for new beekeepers who are using them to inspect their new packages (they are fine for moving boxes around). If I need gloves, I generally use regular yellow dishwashing gloves.

deknow

Other than really heavy rubber gloves I have found that bees can sting through leather gloves and canvas gloves. And once the bees get to stinging so much that they penetrate leather or canvas gloves they may be well off to a stinging frenzy. a bunch of stings in a leather or canvas glove will encourage more stinging.

I have been stung through nitrile gloves, but not like stingings I have taken from canvas or leather.
    Mark Berninghausen

Next to Apivar and VSH queens, THICKSTERS are the best thing since sliced bread.

http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_ss...rs%2Caps%2C443

This is my glove pile. Here you see thicksters, other gloves I never use anymore, and Unscented powder to keep you hands from getting sweaty. I wore them so much (several hours every day)I got a little bit of itchy rash on my wrist area. The gold bond powder spray was medicated and took care of that. I applied it before putting on the gloves. You can reuse these gloves several times..they are tough enough to never tear and extra long in the cuff. I rarely get stung through them, although I see bees trying to sting. They are thin enough to feel the bees when you put light pressure on them-so you don't get stung because you're more aware. I regularly handle my queens with them on. To have a transitional glove between a heavy glove and bare handed, I highly recommend these.

Here you go looking at my dirty hands again.
    Last edited by Lauri; 11-05-2013 at 07:11 PM.

Yeah...I'm not sure why the suppliers and educators seem to recommend the standard beekeeping gloves.

The worst part is when you realize your new goatskin leather gloves have taken enough stings that they probably are holding alarm pheromone and need to be washed. You wash the gloves..carefully, by hand, and the leather is never the same again.

deknow

I always wore hole in the finger tips with thin goatskin gloves.I'd go through a pair a month. Then they made the fingers too long in the last pair I bought and I threw them in the garbage. I got stung through them 100 times more often than through the thicksters. Even simple Nitrile gloves work great. You feel all the bees without the creepy feeling of bees crawling all over you hand.

Quote Originally Posted by Edymnion View Post
    I can help there. An old trick for when you're in a costume thats very hot for any extended period of time (like back when I was a mascot) is to wear a fishing vest under it with those frozen gel packs in every pocket. You can buy them at any walmart or pharmacy, just ask for them if you can't find them in the sports injury section with the other heating/cooling packs. Get the small ones, toss them in the freezer. Whenever its really hot out and you want to suit up, put on the fishing vest and fill the pockets with frozen gel packs. Depending on the number of pockets in the vest, it can get you downright frosty in even hundred degree weather.
    Man I can't wait till next summer to try this. It's hot here in Kansas and I HATE the heat. Thanks for the great idea!