Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Default Youtube videos... do the bees seem friendlier than your bees???

Do the bees on Youtube seem friendlier than your bees? I watched a few beekeepers opening hives without a veil or gloves on Youtube....

I always wear a veil and gloves when I open my hives.
    West Palm Beach, FL
    Zone 10a; Elevation 13 feet

Default Re: Youtube videos... do the bees seem friendlier than your bees???

Sam likes to get intimate w/ bees. I was gathering hives in an orchard near a farm that Sam visits from time to time. He saw me gathering the hives and came over to chat and lend a hand. I told him there was an extra veil in the truck. He didn't want it. He took a few stings. Didn't seem to mind very much, but didn't stick around to finish the load.
    Mark Berninghausen
    The answers are the end. The questions are the journey. Journey on.

Yes. Much friendlier. I think the size of the colony and time of year also have a lot to do with it. I have a couple of colonies that this fellow would not want to try this with right now. If he did, he would not need a Halloween mask.
    To everything there is a season....

Sam travels up and down the east coast tending bees; he's a member of my local beekeeper's association in Palm Beach County, Florida. A few of our members don't use veils...including Sam... I don't understand...but I respect their choice. Often it seems that most bees on Youtube are friendlier than my own.
    West Palm Beach, FL
    Zone 10a; Elevation 13 feet

I believe the viewers watching the videos prefer to actually See the person talking to them. They might be making the effort to go without a veil to accommodate that. I bet there is quite a bit of blooper footage though. Perhaps some strong language expressed

It looks like he got stung in the cheek twice to me.
    Brian Cardinal
    Zone 5a, Practicing non-intervention beekeeping

As a member of our local club says, "You dont get a prize for checking a hive without protection!." I suit up all the time regardless....

Noone posts a video when their bees go off on them.
    Buy the ticket, take the ride. -H.S. Thompson

I don't always wear a veil in the summertime. I just learned its a must for fall time. But I Dont leave the veil off because I feel I'm some elite beekeeper... quite the opposite actually. My untrained eye has a hard time seeing with the veil on. Maybe someone can recomend a good veil that doesn't impair vision as much.

the problem is when talking while opening a hive is the bees zero in on your mouth, he is doing well if you ask me,
    but why a guy needs to work without a veil,? to show off
    I always wear a veil
    Ian Steppler >> Canadian Beekeeper's Blog
    www.stepplerfarms.com

Maybe someone can recomend a good veil that doesn't impair vision as much.
    Mine needs air conditioning. It is the perspiration that covers my glasses that does me in. Contacts would probably solve the problem but there is no way I could stand sticking those in my eyes. Doctor says my eyes are not right for contacts anyway.
    Brian Cardinal

Sam is not a show off. He may have as healthy an ego as anyone else who gives bee talks and demonstrations, but when he goes w/out a veil, which is always, that is just the way he likes to work bees, whether anyone is watching or not.
    Mark Berninghausen

Mark does he work hives without a veil that are strong vs. the small size that was in the video? When I had one hive it was like the video for number of bees in the air. But now that I have three hives it is like the whole hive is in the air. I can't imagine pulling a hive apart without a veil now that I have three hives in close proximity.
    Brian Cardinal

Most old beekeepers and a lot of young beekeepers don't wear veils while working over here in Germany. Even full hives. It is easy to breed for calm bees that are not too stingy, so this is what we do. Breed for it.

I do not wear veils nor gloves when working the bees. Better sight, better ventilation without a bee suit, it is just a joy to work free of fear, being very close to the bees. Of course there are exceptions on days, when the girls are special. But even those days I don't use gloves, since I hate gloves and so do the bees.

It seems to me, that the less protection, the less stings you get. If you have the right breed. Some bee strains simply beat you up, but those are requeened and the worry is gone.

Keeping calm bees is sort of necessary here, because people live very crowded and you can't keep bees that sting you when walking by the hives.

If you keep on requeening stingy bees and if you learn to treat the bees well, you can work bees without a veil, not a problem. With smoke though, but for some breeds you do not need smoke neither. It is a joy to work those bees. Makes beekeeping so much more fun.

Quote Originally Posted by Acebird View Post
    Mark does he work hives without a veil that are strong vs. the small size that was in the video? When I had one hive it was like the video for number of bees in the air. But now that I have three hives it is like the whole hive is in the air. I can't imagine pulling a hive apart without a veil now that I have three hives in close proximity.
    Not to be mean Brian, but one has to know how to be around bees if one is not going to wear a veil. Sam has worked for Dave Mendes, one of the largest beekeepers in the East. He managed 1,000 colonies for him, I believe. So Sam has worked lots of hives. Suited and veiled I assume, since he was working them in a conventionally commercial manner. It's my understanding that much of that experience contributes to his "no veil" stance.

One has to know what one can get away with when not wearing a veil or gloves. And one has to be able to take a sting or two, or more, and keep going. And know when to close up shop and walk away.

Sam runs a cpl hundred top bar hives in a number of States between NY and FL. I have no idea how many he has in his most populous yds, but I suspect not very many. So working them as he does, it's not that hard to do going veilless.
    Mark Berninghausen

I handled my bees tat way right from the beginning. I don't think I even owned a bee suit when I first got bees.
    Stand for what you believe, even if you stand alone.

Quote Originally Posted by sqkcrk View Post
    Not to be mean Brian, but one has to know how to be around bees if one is not going to wear a veil.
    I use to open my hives without a veil or any protection but the common warning I see here on beesource is you never know. So now I may open a hive without protection but I don't pull a frame. Even though a sting is not that painful I can't help myself form flinching or swatting. I don't know what the secrete is. Mind over matter I guess.

Be as mean as you like. I have a tolerance for that. I would rather you answer my questions truthfully than not answer my questions.
    Brian Cardinal

I guess it's not against his religion!

http://www.beverlybees.com/dee-lusby-organic-beekeeper/

There is a photo of him in a veil.

Where in Florida does he have hives?

Several, but who wouldn't opening up Dee's killer bees?
    Brian Cardinal