Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Default Re: Lauri now a moderator....................... Great & congrats!

Lauri you mentioned halibut , I don't think there is a better tasting fish out there your lucky to have them close by . I've made the trip to Alaska a couple times and we don't pass up a chance at a halibut dinner if were passing through town , otherwise were out in the bush , its silvers and rainbows with the fly-rod for me , saw 16 grizzly's in two days on the Russian river on are last trip . Wonder if they have varroa in Alaska ?

> Wonder if they have varroa in Alaska ?

Since bees have a difficult time wintering successfully in most parts of Alaska, thousands of packages are brought up to Alaska every spring from the lower 48 states. Naturally, those package bees have varroa mites:

http://juneauempire.com/stories/1127...61127007.shtml
    There is no escape from mites in the USA.
    Graham
    USDA Zone 7A Elevation 1400 ft

Rader , I searched everywhere and couldn't find anything on varroa up there , thanks for the link . I wonder how the bees hold up getting there from as far away as Georgia .I read they also get some from are northern states that border Canada , and they found the Russian bees wintered the best .So 92.50 each for a 100 packages probably around 130.00 to the small bee keeper !!
    Last edited by laketrout; 11-04-2013 at 08:09 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by laketrout View Post
    Lauri you mentioned halibut , I don't think there is a better tasting fish out there your lucky to have them close by.....
    Beer battered halibut cheeks are hard to beat!!!
    LeeB
    I try to learn from my mistakes, and from yours when you give me a heads up :)

Not to get offf topic here, but...
    No need to go to Alaska. This is off the Washington coast. Good size eaters.

My daughter just moved to Anchorage, so I should find out the scoop on bees there.

Thumbs Up Re: Lauri now a moderator....................... Great & congrats!

Quote Originally Posted by Lauri View Post
    ......My daughter just moved to Anchorage, so I should find out the scoop on bees there.
    Anchorage area weather is moderated by its proximity to the Pacific ocean. I kept bees there (Eagle River, Alaska) from 1982-86 while stationed at Elmendorf AFB's Regional Medical Center. The coldest we saw was about -10 F -worse, was three weeks of chinook winds of @ 80mph in Spring. At the time, no one kept bees over the winter in the Anchorage area. Coming from Wyoming, I had wintered in a much colder climate and managed to overwinter when locals said it wasn't worth the effort. As you know, adequate ventilation is the key. If mites are in check, Nosema would be the thing to watch for over winter there.

My family smiles whenever we talk about salmon and halibut fishing in those years. :memories of heaven:
    LeeB
    I try to learn from my mistakes, and from yours when you give me a heads up :)

Congrats Lauri!
    I always enjoy you posts here and on Facebook.
    Thanks for taking the time and sharing with us all.

Wow, Lee, small world. She also lives in Eagle River..She works for Pratt & Whitney, but her husband is stationed at Elmendorf

Thanks for the info.
    Last edited by Lauri; 11-06-2013 at 08:50 AM.

My daughter just moved to Anchorage, so I should find out the scoop on bees there.

You mentioned that on one of my threads a while back when I posted about a "vehicle" for moving bees in the muck ..............which describes 90% of ALASKA.

Tell her the SABA meeting is in eagle river the 4th Monday of most months. http://www.sababeekeepers.com/

That is if she wants to get a grip on "Anchorage" beekeeping. If she want to deal herself a hard hand get a hold of the club in Fairbanks where one can learn about keeping the critters in a place that can be a frozen hell some times of the year.

As per varroa being in Ak: I think 99% of the packages that go there each spring come out of the three left coast states. You answer that one.

There are about 4 or 5 brokers who get bees from "outside" and re sell them in Ak. Prices in 13 were around $135 for four pounds..... Not sure about 2014 prices.

We have run anywhere from 30-330 hives in AK the past 8 years. ( our own packages raised in CA and shipped via Alaska Air to FAI) Needless to say the costs of production is are high. $10 a pound will keep a guy on the edge of bankruptcy unless he has another source of dough since the crops vary from 0- 100 pounds depending on the weather in July.

Anyways ..... I digress. If you ever go to visit her in the summer you may PM me and I will try to hook you up with some folks in the "know" about bees in AK.

Big Grin Re: Lauri now a moderator....................... Great & congrats!

$10 a pound.... who selling bees so cheap.
    NUTRA-BEE feed supplements

Honey-4-All

Thank you so much for the info. I'll put it to good use.

My daughter, who was previously in the Air Force and I are trying to get involved in the Wounded Warriors program. I am near Joint base Lewis/McChord and am wheelchair accessable here in my largest yard. She can be the middle 'man' for the Anchorage base. I'm going to send them some of my queens to try at least. Get involved more with perfecting the two queen hive method of fast build up for their short season.

She unfortunatly lives in an area that is popular for bear hunting..due to the large population. I guess I'll have to buy her the electric fence charger of the century if she is going to keep her own hives. And a 300 Win mag.
    Last edited by Lauri; 11-06-2013 at 09:16 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Keith Jarrett View Post
    $10 a pound.... who selling bees so cheap.
    As is often the case my writing was pretty unclear. Sorry about the confusion. I was referring to the price of honey. If one would sell bulk bees in AK for $10 I would probably be the 1000th person in purchase line.

Right now the biggest "lot" of honey I know for sale in AK contains about 5k lbs and the seller is requesting $8. One of the best production years there in many years and the price is still "up."

Quote Originally Posted by Lauri View Post

I am near Joint base Lewis/McChord and am wheelchair accessable here in my largest yard. She can be the middle 'man' for the Anchorage base. I'm going to send them some of my queens to try at least. Get involved more with perfecting the two queen hive method of fast build up for their short season.

I guess I'll have to buy her the electric fence charger of the century if she is going to keep her own hives. And a 300 Win mag.

As someone who lives with a wheelchair in the house full time I love your idea of wheelchair beekeeping. You might want to check with the queen raiser John Kefuss out of France and Chile. He has a friend in France that does bees from a chair. Sure you could get some great advice.

On the subject of bear fences. I think the ones in the lower 48 are often more "bullet proof." The bear eliminator might be best reserved for personal safety. I have many friends who have been saved by the force de jur at ones side while out in the wilderness during both beekeeping and hunting excursions.

I am set up for it well. Lots of half deep frames on the place too > Really easy to handle.

I'll look up John. Thanks again.

Congrats Lauri! I hung up the bow this year and went to a rifle for elk (first rifle elk tag ever). I was the only one in camp that did not put one down (ego buster). Brother in AK (Wasilla) used to keep bees pointed out that this year they did not get above 50 until about June and then had the record heat wave. I love the pacific Halibut, we would go out to the ‘chicken farm’ every year and get a 45 lb fish like clock work.
    “Why do we fall, sir? So that we might learn to pick ourselves up” Alfred Pennyworth Batman Begins (2005)

talked to a friend today who said his son got a bobcat w/ a bow recently here in NY
    Mark Berninghausen
    The answers are the end. The questions are the journey. Journey on.