Default bees grooming themselves

I put together some short videos of bees grooming themselves. These are close up videos of bees that didn't mind a camera hovering about an inch away. I wondered if they were 'posing' for me. :-)

http://solarbeez.com/2013/10/30/groo...mer-afternoon/

Default Re: bees grooming themselves

I have to say. . seeing the foragers tattered wings . . I just don't get to see that. Thanks. It is hard to believe. . that swarm I caught in April. . . all of them are gone except one. .

I should add that Kiera O'Hara wrote and performed the background melody, "Song for Earth Day." It's been playing over and over again in my mind, so I asked Kiera about it, towards the end at about 3:10 it sounds like a question is being asked. Her reply, "You've got it, exactly! That ending was meant to sound tentative--the vulnerability of the earth asking for help, and the question lingering for us humans, will we help?"

Quote Originally Posted by 66thstreetbees View Post
    I have to say. . seeing the foragers tattered wings . . I just don't get to see that. Thanks. It is hard to believe. . that swarm I caught in April. . . all of them are gone except one. .
    I guess you're right about that since the drones have been kicked out and the workers only live about 42 days in the summer. The tattered wings are probably a good indication they don't have many days left.

The first time I photographed a bee with those serrated wingtips, I tried to identify the species. Apis mellifera has nice rounded wingtips in almost every published photograph. It took a while before I realized what age discrimination most photographers have ... not sharing the pictures they've made of the brave old girls who have served their hives until they can barely fly. Apis mellifera geriatrica.

They make good subjects. They spend a little longer on the flowers.

Thanks for sharing this un-appreciated part of bee life!

I'm not too particular as to who poses for the video...I'm usually just lucky to keep a bee in the view finder while trying to hold the camera steady.