Default First Visit By A Bee Inspector

Back in the spring when I filled out the paperwork to register our apiary, I asked that I be called before the bee inspector came out. I asked this for several reasons, the two I stated were that A. We have dogs that run loose, and B. I wanted to learn from the inspector what he or she would be looking for, and any other tips. The non-stated one was that I was concerned that the inspector might not have experience with a top-bar hive.

Well, he called last week and made arrangements to meet me. Unfortunately, the weather turned bad and he didn't show up or call. The next time he called, I explained that neither of us were home and scheduled a time on Friday. Friday he arrived late in the afternoon as planned, but it was getting cloudy and he didn't want to open the hives when it was cloudy. He was also a bit concerned about the fact that I'd not gotten out a smoker.

Turned out that he had never seen a top-bar hive except in a magazine. I did open the window so he could see in (he did like that!) and I opened the lid to show him the tops of the bars. But, it being cloudy and the wind starting to pick up, he said he'd come back the next day. Saturday it was sunny but cold in the morning, and the winds and clouds moved in about noon. So, no inspection yet but at least we've met. :-)

Cheers,
    Tom

Default Re: First Visit By A Bee Inspector

Sounds like you've gotten a great start to a potentially fruitful relationship! And that he recognized that it might not be good timing for inspections. That's a HUGE plus! Whew!

Default Re: First Visit By A Bee Inspector

Yes, we were quite relieved! The first day he was scheduled to come out it was pretty cold and wet. We didn't hear from him and he didn't answer when I called and, hearing horror stories of inspectors that went in regardless we were concerned. Rhonda thought we could tell him not to, but I pointed out that we don't even have to be home. He called as a courtesy because I asked. So yes, a lot of relief on that score!

He also seems interested in the top-bar hive but not in a hurry to go barging into one, which is a plus as well. At this point I don't think he'll be back this year. I think he was supposed to be done by the first of November, if I recall what he said correctly.

Cheers,
    Tom