Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

Insulating hive stand

1K views 2 replies 2 participants last post by  Hogback Honey 
#1 ·
I purchased a hive stand, wooden, short frame type, but now realize I really don't need them, as I will be placing my hives on cinder blocks. I was thinking, how about putting a solid bottom on the stands, and putting insulation in the space and THEN putting the hive on top of the hive stand. Sound like a good plan?

#3 ·
Hey, thanks for your input. Were I live we can have zero to negative temps at night, and days not over 20 degrees, we can have stretches like that, but its not a constant. I know I'm going to have to play it by ear, some people say I need a screened bottom board, that the temps will not be a problem, but we can get some nasty winds too, so I really so not want to leave the bottom of the hive open. I'll be able to figure something out, I was thinking insulated stand, with a slot so I can insert a sticky paper for mites, and have a bottom screened board, maybe putting some small vent holes in the stand. That, the reduced front entrance, and a small entrance at the top, in case bottom entrance gets blocked, should do.
Oh yes, forgot to add, I will insulate the top cover.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.