Default Insulating hive stand

I purchased a hive stand, wooden, short frame type, but now realize I really don't need them, as I will be placing my hives on cinder blocks. I was thinking, how about putting a solid bottom on the stands, and putting insulation in the space and THEN putting the hive on top of the hive stand. Sound like a good plan?

Default Re: Insulating hive stand

Heat rises...perhaps having the insulation on the cover may do more good. I'm not sure how cold it gets where you are at.
    West Palm Beach, FL
    Zone 10a; Elevation 13 feet

Default Re: Insulating hive stand

Hey, thanks for your input. Were I live we can have zero to negative temps at night, and days not over 20 degrees, we can have stretches like that, but its not a constant. I know I'm going to have to play it by ear, some people say I need a screened bottom board, that the temps will not be a problem, but we can get some nasty winds too, so I really so not want to leave the bottom of the hive open. I'll be able to figure something out, I was thinking insulated stand, with a slot so I can insert a sticky paper for mites, and have a bottom screened board, maybe putting some small vent holes in the stand. That, the reduced front entrance, and a small entrance at the top, in case bottom entrance gets blocked, should do.
    Oh yes, forgot to add, I will insulate the top cover.