Default Looking for 1 1/4" Frames

Does anyone know someone that makes these? I'd like to try a few and see how the bees do vs standard width frames.

Thanks

Default Re: Looking for 1 1/4" Frames

I think kelly was selling them.

Previous threads have not turned up a commercial source that I have noticed. Most rip down standard frames, a few build from scratch.
    4 yrs, Peak 14, back to zip, T lite; godfather to brother's 3.

I agree with Saltybee.

Michael bush offers several suggestions:

Ways to get narrow frames

• Assuming no nails from the outsides of the end bars, you can plane off the end bars of regular frames until they are 1 1/4" wide. If you do this before assembling the frames, you can also cut the top bar down to 1" wide on a table saw.
    • You can make or buy frames built from scratch. Either by adjusting the dimensions and building Hoffman frames or by building Killion style frames and simply changing the spacing (see "Honey in the Comb" by Carl Killion or later editions Egene Killion).
    • You can intersperse PermaComb (which has no spacers) with regular Hoffman combs and then space them a little further by hand.
    • You can build Koover frames (see old 70's Gleanings in Bee Culture articles or plans on nordykebeefarm.com)

http://www.bushfarms.com/beesframewidth.htm
    Graham
    USDA Zone 7A Elevation 1400 ft

Kelleybees.com, did, recently offer narrow frames, I don't seem to be able to locate them at their website. Perhaps there wasn't enough demand to be profitable.
    48 years - 50 hives - TF
    Joseph Clemens -- Website Under Constructioni

there was a thread last year about this time. We had to call Kelley and talk with a specific person. The top bar and bottom bars were normal, but the shoulders on the side pieces narrower. That made them slightly splittable while being assembled by a clumsy person. Also, my first bars were not narrow so I had to call back. And this is a good time to mention that Kelley once again offers free shipping near Thanksgiving -- check the site.

Thanks for the info.

I was just hoping to buy some, but if the pickings are slim.

I'll run them across the table saw. Although, I'm just never exciting about cutting small parts like that.

Call Kelly Bees- I purchased 1-1/4 wide frame side bars from them recently (2 months ago), they were listed in the paper catalog if memory serves and maybe not on the web site. Being "somewhat" OC, I did run my top bars through a table saw to reduce the top bar width a smidgen. You may have to order the side bars separately from the standard frames- you can mix and match to get what you want for only a few cents more a frame than "standard" frames. They also make top bars for foundationless frames. I ordered the foundationless top bars, solid bottom bars, and the 1-1/4 side bars.

By the way, Kellybees just sent me an email about no shipping charges on orders more than $200 placed over Thanksgiving Holiday- see page 2 of the link below..

http://app.newpanda.com/public/share...newsletter.pdf

I bought 1 1/4" frames from Kelley's but I returned the endbars, opting to build my own. They were too irregular in my opinion.

In addition the top bars were not thinned down at all.

You may as well purchase and cut down any manufacturer's frames.
    BeeCurious
    Trying to think inside the box...

Buy a $25.00 block plane and make your own out of your existing frames by shaving each side of the end bars to 1 1/4". Worked great for me.
    Beeman
    All things may be lawful; but not all things are advantagous.

I run mine on a router bit after they are assembled. Takes just a second to do. A little irregular, but work great for what I use them for.

Here is the earlier thread where Kelley said they were available and even provided a SKU:

http://www.beesource.com/forums/show...es-from-Kelley
    See post #17
    Graham
    USDA Zone 7A Elevation 1400 ft

Quote Originally Posted by BeeCurious View Post
    I bought 1 1/4" frames from Kelley's but I returned the endbars, opting to build my own. They were too irregular in my opinion.

In addition the top bars were not thinned down at all.

You may as well purchase and cut down any manufacturer's frames.
    Check out my experience, post #24
    http://www.beesource.com/forums/show...m-Kelley/page2
    “Everything will be all right in the end... if it's not all right then it's not yet the end”

Built my own for the last 35 years. Easy modifications to do so, but a couple of important changes are needed for them to work right.

Cut the top bar 15/16 of an inch wide to get the beespace right.

Cut the endbars 3/8 of an inch thick, otherwise they bow inward.

Cut the endbars to the proper length for your equipment. You want 5/16 to 3/8 of an inch bee space between boxes. If your brood chambers are 9 and 19/32 then you should cut the end bars 9 and 1/4 inches long. Note that this particular measurement is the MOST COMMON ERROR in commercial equipment. It causes no end of problems with burr comb.
    DarJones - 44 years, 10 colonies (max 40), sideliner, treatment free since 2005, 11 frame broodnest, small cell