Default New from Southern California

Hi,

My name is Julian and I'm looking to get into bee keeping! I am currently a senior in high school and will be helping my Dad hopefully getting a hive set up some time next year. The interest all started when my Dad, whom manages properties, had a bee hive issue in one of the houses. The hive was massive and occupied the cavity in a roof. We were able to find people who removed the hive to add the bees to their own colonies, but still at a cost as removing a hive from a roof is no easy task XD.

I've already done quite a bit of research on bee-keeping but there's always more to learn, reason for joining this forum. As of now, I have 2 questions: Can someone recommend or refer me to a good reputable bee-breeder..(not sure if that's the term) that I can get on a pre-order of bees from? My other question is what are the "must-reads" for a novice bee-keeper, links would be helpful. Also we plan on building the hive, and just purchasing a nuc that can be later added into the hive.

On another note, I can be found on Bladeforums and scsurffishing forums. I am a knife enthusiast and love fishing on the surf when time permits. Anyhow, that's all I have to say for now.

Regards,
    Julian

Default Re: New from Southern California

You may want to start by joining a local club sometimes in the spring you can get in on a club package buy and get it for cheap. Also subscribe to the American Bee Journal lot of good articles for new and old beek's.

Quote Originally Posted by primeonly27 View Post
    You may want to start by joining a local club sometimes in the spring you can get in on a club package buy and get it for cheap. Also subscribe to the American Bee Journal lot of good articles for new and old beek's.
    I don't know if I'll have time to actually join a bee club and attending meetings. Most of my weekends are pre-occupied with Boy Scouts and college apps right now. Second semister...maybe.

I'll keep that in mind, but if anyone can link me to a dealer/website located in SoCal, that would be great.

Bees4U is a member here on the forums and is in Ventura California. You may want to contact him for information on purchasing packages or nucs when you are ready. You can send a private message or email to him from this link, see the column on the left...
    http://www.beesource.com/forums/member.php?65758-BEES4U

As far as reading material, I recommend this book...
    A Practical Treatise on the Hive and Honey-bee
    By Lorenzo Lorraine Langstroth

Which can be downloaded here for free...
    http://books.google.com/books?id=RrF...page&q&f=false

This was the first book I read when I started beekeeping and I recommend it for anyone just starting out, or for anyone with experience with bees. It is a great addition to any beekeepers library. Of course there are many many books out on beekeeping, but I recommend this one as it contains everything about bees and hives of bees that you need to know to get started on the path of beekeeping. Back when I started beekeeping, it was the text book at UCD bee biology lab in Davis, Ca. It covers all the bases and is very easy to read and very well laid out. If you prefer paper copies, the newer editions are available at many online book stores.

I hope you have as much fun keeping bees as I have myself, and hope you can contain your excitement through the winter as you wait for your first hive.
    “When one tugs at a single thing in nature, he finds it attached to the rest of the world.” – John Muir

Quote Originally Posted by RayMarler View Post
    Bees4U is a member here on the forums and is in Ventura California. You may want to contact him for information on purchasing packages or nucs when you are ready. You can send a private message or email to him from this link, see the column on the left...
    http://www.beesource.com/forums/member.php?65758-BEES4U

As far as reading material, I recommend this book...
    A Practical Treatise on the Hive and Honey-bee
    By Lorenzo Lorraine Langstroth

Which can be downloaded here for free...
    http://books.google.com/books?id=RrF...page&q&f=false

This was the first book I read when I started beekeeping and I recommend it for anyone just starting out, or for anyone with experience with bees. It is a great addition to any beekeepers library. Of course there are many many books out on beekeeping, but I recommend this one as it contains everything about bees and hives of bees that you need to know to get started on the path of beekeeping. Back when I started beekeeping, it was the text book at UCD bee biology lab in Davis, Ca. It covers all the bases and is very easy to read and very well laid out. If you prefer paper copies, the newer editions are available at many online book stores.

I hope you have as much fun keeping bees as I have myself, and hope you can contain your excitement through the winter as you wait for your first hive.
    Thanks for the read. I usually don't fair well from reading long articles on the computer and prefer to read something of that nature on paper. But man those paper copies on that book are kinda expensive. I'll look into buying it in the future, but I rather just watch videos and read articles--as much as I try, I can't read books on a computer screen.

Get on down to the Los Angeles Honey Company, Its right off the 10 not to far from you .( fishburn st .I think. Google IT!) They sell books / equipment and what have you . Your not too far from them and there is a nice old fella in there that should be able to give you the low down on any thing you need. I believe you can buy abj/bee culture by the mag in there too.

Welcome to the forum. I am in the High Desert.
    You can attend a beekeeping meeting in La Crescenta on Monday nights with the LACBCA. They do group purchases of bee packages, offer hands on classes and can help in many ways. Check it out here:
    http://www.losangelescountybeekeepers.com/
    There are plenty of books and most any of them will get you started with the basics. Once you have a hive, the bees will teach you plenty. You can find three answers to any one question here on the forum and you will have to cipher out how to apply good advice to your own individual beekeeping style and particular climate ie... some advice I get from folks in the SFV or SGV don't apply to my area just 30 miles away.
    “Everything will be all right in the end... if it's not all right then it's not yet the end”

Welcome Julian!
    americasbeekeeper.com
    beekeeper@americasbeekeeper.com

Welcome,
    December, & January is the time to order bee packages for April delivery. Don't miss the opportunity.
    Dan