Default bees in tall tree

Got a call Monday. Woman has bees on a limb on an oak tree about 30 feet off the ground. The limb appears to be healthy about 6 inches in diameter. The hive is in the open about thirty feet out on the branch. She would like the bees moved with out hurting them. The only way I see to do it is using a bucket lift or scissor lift but she has limited funds. Any one with a Safe inexpensive idea on how to do this.

Default Re: bees in tall tree

heard of placing some open brood in a basket and raising to the branch for a swarm. You have to get a rope over the branch near the hive and then hoist the basket up to just under the hive. Don't know if it would work for a hive on drawn comb.

If a bucket truck is too expensive perhaps you could rent scaffolds instead. Likely just as expensive though to get that high!

My advice with any sort of tree related bee removals, especially at that height, is that is they aren't threatening anyone, just leave them alone. I advise clients that the cost and risk of injury or an unsuccessful job, far outweighs the risk of getting stung. At 30' high, she probably never even sees the bees at ground level. I'm assuming they've been there for a long time and she just looked up one day and saw it. Just let them be, and save everyone involved time, money, and headaches.

I hope this doesn't sound pushy, as you can do as you wish. It's just logical to me to not mess with them in that situation. Good luck!
    After 20 months I'm over a 20 hives and growing. See my videos! http://www.youtube.com/channel/UC8fVrmUsyYlRuASdX6UQk1g

>I advise clients that the cost and risk of injury or an unsuccessful job, far outweighs the risk of getting stung.

The cost also outweighs the value of the bees. When you can buy a commercial queen for $30, and a package for $80, why would you spend hundreds on a few insects? "Save the Bees"!!!!

The cost also outweighs the value of the bees. When you can buy a commercial queen for $30, and a package for $80, why would you spend hundreds on a few insects? "Save the Bees"!!!![/QUOTE]

If you're doing it to acquire bees, odfrank is right, so long as you have the CASH. Some people (likely most people willing to play with bees) have more time than money. So one must consider the value of their own time. I have a personal rule that I must earn or create a minimum $20/hr on any project. So if you're looking at $100 to get commercial bees, you could spend 5 hours getting them some other way. If you have the tools and means to do it quick and easy, go for it.

Now, if you're doing it as a service, then the value of the bees is not considered for anything more than a bonus check. As I have learned ( despite others telling ahead of time) it's certainly easier to buy or split your own bees vs acquire through removals. So I quote all my removals from a service standpoint and take the bees as my bonus check for a job well done. So from a service standpoint I figure in my TOTAL time investment into the quote, including drive time, planning time, resources, etc. On average my base quote is $250 and goes up from ther based on difficulty. At $20/hr, I can spend 12.5 hrs total, from the time I start loading the truck until I'm unloading the bees and releasing the queen in my own bee yard.

Again, you must also consider the market for your service when considering an estimate. Down here in Houston I've had no problem finding people that need bees removed. But I've also found that most people (all people) don't want to pay much. I used to lowball the bids just to get the bees. But now I'm more selective on the jobs I take, and If someone wants to haggle me, I just advise they call someone else. Or in the event of the bees in a tree, I just advise they leave them there.

If the client is a nature loving do-gooder (no offense meant) they'll be willing to pay the additional cost to "save the bees". But again, I always advise they leave them in trees. I'm not in this to get rich, but by all means, if someone is determined to pay to get them out of a tree, I quote it likewise.

One last thought, you might consider renting a tow behind man lift. It will give you more flexibility. Maybe you offer to prune the tree while you're at it and have the equipment, so the client gets the full value of paying for a day rental. Or you use it for your own stuff for half the day and split the cost with the client.
    After 20 months I'm over a 20 hives and growing. See my videos! http://www.youtube.com/channel/UC8fVrmUsyYlRuASdX6UQk1g

Sound advice Tom. . sound advice.