Big Grin Honey and pollen substitutes?

Hey all, could you give me some recipes or easily found products that will help get the girls through the rest of the year? I've been making a fall sugar syrup but I feel like there could be more to it. Thanks!

Default Re: Honey and pollen substitutes?

Sugar syrup is generally considered an adequate substitute for the bees own honey. As far as a pollen substitute, products like Ultra-Bee (and its competitors ) are reasonable choices.

Note that in a cold environment, bees likely won't consume syrup that is colder than about 50 degree F. Dry sugar is one option when it is cold. More on that here:

http://www.bushfarms.com/beesfeeding.htm
    Graham
    -- The real problem is not precise language, it's clear language. - Richard Feynman

Quote Originally Posted by Rader Sidetrack View Post
    (and its competitors ) .
    Ha, wouldn't have expected anything less.
    NUTRA-BEE feed supplements

Keith Jarrett,

I have been told that you only sell your product in very large quantities. If this is so, most of us will never have the opportunity to try it so we are forced to buy elsewhere or make our own. I have heard that your product is very good but I guess I'll never know.
    Beeman
    All things may be lawful; but not all things are advantagous.

Mike, I meant to include a link to Ultra Bee in my post above:
    http://www.mannlakeltd.com/beekeepin...ry/page49.html

The major bee suppliers all sell similar products, some of them are in-house brands. There are also some independent manufacturers/distributors. One of those independents is Keith, above, and as you can see his product is NUTRA-BEE. However, AFAIK, Nutra-Bee is not available in smaller quantities (less than truckload) in Canada. That is why the posts above have the smileys.

My suggestion is that you determine which pollen sub has the least shipping hassles for you and buy that one as you are in Canada.

Also, I am going to point out that unless you have inspected your hives, adding pollen patties is not necessarily a good thing. You may/may not have potential small hive beetle issues over the winter, but some areas do. SHB just love pollen patties that are not consumed quickly.
    Graham
    -- The real problem is not precise language, it's clear language. - Richard Feynman

Thanks so much guys. The links are super helpful. I'm in Ontario so I think I'm going to try the refined sugar. The hive is small and I think they need a lot of help!

I have a question about the 50 degrees. Is this average, high, etc. I live in southeast VA and in winter we get a lot of random warm days. Is it better to leave dry sugar on and forget about it or leave a top feeder on that they can get to when they want it?

I just posted in another thread, so I just copied it to here:

http://www.beverlybees.com

go to the website, in there is also a link to a video on making candy boards with just sugar and water
    use 1 cup of water (with some vinegar) to every 5 pounds of sugar
    mix and put in your candy board and let set up for a day before putting on hive
    alot easier than heating and no chance of overheating sugar (which is bad for bees)

when I make mine I am going to put a layer of wet sugar down and then instead of a protien patty,
    I will put a cup of megabee protien supplement spread out in the middle, then more wet sugar to cover

Quote Originally Posted by Davacoles View Post
    I have a question about the 50 degrees. Is this average, high, etc. I live in southeast VA and in winter we get a lot of random warm days. Is it better to leave dry sugar on and forget about it or leave a top feeder on that they can get to when they want it?
    Davacoles, we're first years in NoVA, 3 hours north of you.

I just this conversation with a long-time Central VA beekeeper yesterday. He mentioned that you could feed small quantities of warm syrup (made with hot tap) in a jar feeder then and again on the nicer days - if your hives are in the backyard (mine aren't) and desperately short on population/stores. Honey stores and fondant are preferable, however. And you'd have to watch the condensation.

So it's probably possible to feed syrup occasionally, but doesn't sound optimal. I'd be interested what your local beekeepers think since Tidewater is a little warmer/wetter than NoVA.

PS - does this (scroll down to page 5) seem like a good recipe? Got it from the Loudoun County club. Sounds pretty simple.
    Last edited by urbanoutlaw; 10-31-2013 at 06:57 AM. Reason: added fondant recipe