Default Remove it or leave it?

Hey folks,

2 new hives this last spring.
    I have them reduced to two boxes of frames. I have placed an empty box on top to feed sugar to help them top off for the winter.

I am asuming I should be removing the empty box and the pile of sugar pretty soon so that hey have less space to worry about heating. Any arguments in favor of leaving it there? Or is my thinking on track?

Thanks,
    Loptr
    Tacomabees said
    Unless you've stopped breathing, you'll live.

Default Re: Remove it or leave it?

Bees don't worry. They also do not heat the hive, they keep themselves warm by shared body heat, basically.

What is the sugar on? Did they eat much of it? How big is the pile of sugar?
    Mark Berninghausen #youmatter

I'd have to add the question of how big is the box. To a minor extent that does matter. Too big and there is a possibility of convection currents and an effect of radiant heat not returning.

You feel warmer and burn fewer calories in an unheated closet than in an unheated gym, though you remain at 98.6 in either location. Bees do best in a box that fits right.
    4 yrs, Peak 14, back to zip, T lite; godfather to brother's 3.

I agree with Saltybee. It also depends if the box is above the inner cover or not. You can pile a decent amount of sugar on a newspaper on top of the frames without an extra box.

The sugare is a pile on a paper plate as much as it would hold. They Have been eating it, last I looked they have taken maybe 1/3 to 1/2.
    It is the same size as the other boxes, 8 frame medium. Inner cover is on top of the empty box.

L
    Tacomabees said
    Unless you've stopped breathing, you'll live.

Is the sugar a hard clump now? Or is it still dry and loose?
    Mark Berninghausen #youmatter

Put the inner cover under the empty box if you decide to leave it. Then you can pile up the sugar on the inner cover.

Otherwise, lay a sheet of newspaper directly on the frames and put the sugar on top of that - that should hold at least as much as the plate. Put the inner cover and the telescoping cover on top and take off the empty box.

Sugar or sugar blocks directly on or just above the frames( ie candy board facing down or screen basket) is much better. Cluster can readily access it.

If sugar is on the top side of an inner cover, bees and cluster may not access it in cold temps.

Lost a healthy hive that got stranded with no honey in immediate area yet had 20 lbs of sugar above an inner cover with a 3 1/2 round hole in the center of it.
    If you always do what you always did, you'll always get what you always got!

mgolden is correct. Sugar above an inner cover is too far away (too cold) to be of use. It should be as close to the cluster as possible.

http://www.honeybeesuite.com/physics...e-in-the-hive/
    Rusty
    http://www.honeybeesuite.com "A Better Way to Bee"