Thread: Beetle traps

Default Beetle traps

Can SHB be active in winter when feeding with a candy board .Which one really works , the beetle blaster or the beetle jail .

Default Re: Beetle traps

From people I've talked too, beetle blasters get propolised over. Beetle jails are entrance traps and whenever SHB are active would work when a beetle tries to enter the hive. I have these but am unsure of their efficacy just yet.

By far the best beetle countermeasure is a screened bottom board with oil trap underneath. Jerry Freeman sells his own from freemanbeetletrap.com. I got mine from eheartwood.com.

The oil traps work by drowning the SHB once they're in the hive (yeah it sounds late). But the bees chase them around and when they lose their footing anywhere, they'll drop through the screen and drown.

If you had to purchase only ONE thing, get the screen bottom board traps.

On the topic of winter activity, they may crawl around a bit but they quit laying eggs at some point. Someone else will have to answer this question.

One thing I wanted to try but have not yet done so, is using a CD (or DVD) case. Using plyers you can break off part of the open case on 2 or 3 sides. When you close the case again the opening is about 1/8 inch, which is too small for the girls, but plenty big for the SHB's. You can make up some bait with boric acid (or borax) + soy flour and a little vegetable oil. Knead the bait until it is like cookie dough, then place it inside in the center of the case. Some cases have slits in that area, so you should close the slits with duct tape.

Place this on the top bars of each box. When the bees chase the beetles, they will be happy to run into the case through the 1/8 opening.

Alternatively you could leave out the boric acid, and just use a bait (or some pollen patty). After a few days, or week, take the case (with beetles) out of the hive. This should be done when the wife is out shopping. Place the case in the microwave and NUKE on high for about 5 seconds; this is sufficient time to render an attitude adjustment to the beetles.

Good luck,

Phil

I used the thin CD beetle trap. Works good. The best is to have a strong hive. I don't think SHB are active during the winter where you and I are located - I was surprised to see them in my hives this year, but it was late May when I first saw them.

I have been through all the beetle trap thing, even built an external trap by securing a short piece of 2x4 to the bottom corner area, drilling a 1 1/8 inch hole through the 2x4 and hive body, I placed 1/8" screen on the inside of the box and 1x2 on the outside with a screw in one end, I then placed the roach & ant bait in the cavity, worked great.
    Now I don't use anything, I keep the hive as strong as I can and most important I don't give the bees more area than they can defend. On my TBH hives I take out excess empty comb, on my langs I super only to keep them from swarming or in a very strong flow I super only as long as I need to. I also use no foundation, I use Kelly F frames strung with fifty pound test fishing line for the deep brood boxes and Kelly medium F frames with no reinforcement for honey supers.

I didn't see many this year but a few and wondered if they could feed on the candy board all winter and I would end up with a bad infestation come spring. Thought maybe a trap would help but not sure if the top frame traps would work with candy board in place.

Fatbeeman has a sign board thing cut into squares load with powder sugar and boric acid. Seems to work good. I put them on the bottom of the hive and near the hive and it keeps the hive beetle down. Also put DE on the ground near the hives and in the yard. Feed shop sell it by the 50# bag for about $20, pool stores for the filter sells DE too for about $30

Thanks I'll check it out, are the shb attracted to sugar candy like they are to pollen patties.

SHB aren't attracted to pure sugar, but if you add any pollen or other substitute into it, you might have issues if it is at a high enough concentration.

Opened my weakest hive today that we put a freeman trap on about a month ago. I'd estimate a thousand beetles in the tray, and when we opened it a month ago we counted hundreds when pulling frames. Today, only saw one on a frame and a couple on the inner cover.

Proof that if you want the best countermeasure against beetles that isn't chemical, get the sbb/oiltray type of trap.
    Last edited by rweaver7777; 10-30-2013 at 07:26 PM.

The beetle blasters have alot of problems. They seperate the frames beyond normal spacing. The traps must sit exactly flush on the top bars to be effective as the bees hurd/run them in and so the beetles cannot hide underneath the traps. None of my hives, even very strong ones propolised them closed. Not to mention the risk of spilling oil or vinegar on the bees.

Here beetles arn't much of a problem.

Sounds like the beetle blaster is out and I don't think I have enough of a beetle problem to go with the tray style , is the beetle jail any good .