Default Feed Nucs Sugar?

It is getting to be time to put hives and nucs to bed for the winter here and I had a question on my nucs. I seem to remember that you could fill the division board feeders(I have two nucs in 10 frame deeps with a division board feeder to separate them) with plain granulated sugar and the bees will find the sugar later in the winter.

Is this just wishful thinking or did i actually hear/read this somewhere. I only have 7 or 8 nucs going into winter and I wanted to increase their stores somewhat. I did fall feeding but i think some additional feed may be helpful.

I may gather the nucs onto a pallet this weekend and wrap them with felt paper so it would be nice to add sugar and then wrap them up.

Any thoughts on this?

Thanks,
    John

Default Re: Feed Nucs Sugar?

An earlier thread:
    http://www.beesource.com/forums/show...n-Board-feeder

Opinions vary - imagine that!
    Graham
    USDA Zone 7A Elevation 1400 ft

IMO in the cold of winter the bees will not be able to access the sugar. Put in on the top bars where the cluster can get to it when they move up. Bees move much better up than sideways.

Quote Originally Posted by camero7 View Post
    Put in on the top bars where the cluster can get to it when they move up. Bees move much better up than sideways.
    I 2nd that.
    Say hello to the bad guy!
    year five==== 32 hives==== T{OAV}

Thanks for the replies, it looks like putting some sugar on top may be better than in the feeder.

Sugar on top would be better with the added benefit of absorbing moisture so it does not drip on the cluster. The moisture will also make the sugar more easily accessible for the bees.