Thread: Ant traps ok?

Default Ant traps ok?

There seem to be a lot of ants around my hives. Would it be terrible to put out a couple ant traps?

Default Re: Ant traps ok?

Quote Originally Posted by Davacoles View Post
    There seem to be a lot of ants around my hives. Would it be terrible to put out a couple ant traps?
    Some people say you don't want to attract them now. So if you put bait / traps out put them near the hive not close to the hive. Spray soapy water around hive ants don't cross soap lines or chalk lines. The other thing is get a map gas plumbers torch and burn them alive every day till they are gone.

I don't mind some ants around the hives I think they take care of some of the SHB larvae before they burrow into the ground to pupate, when I get more in the hives than I want, I sprinkle cinnamon in and around them, ants go away. For a somewhat permanent solution I sprinkle granulated ant killer around the hives at least two feet away. The ants take it back to the nest where it kills the queen ant.

I have alot of sugar ants in and around the hive right now bc im feeding. I don't worry about sugar ants at all, the bees dispatch them quite quickly in the hive. They are more or less optunistic foraging around the hives, "cleaning up". The larger ants are probably something to worry about, but I don't have many of those.