Default My bottled honey seemed to Crystallized

I packaged my honey in plastic jars and some got real hard. How can. I prevent this from happening? 00..

Default Re: My bottled honey seemed to Crystallized

This seems to be a common occurence this year. You can reheat the honey to 150 and that will reverse the crystallization. Most honey will crystallize eventually at the right conditions. You can possibly attach a crystallization label so your customers know it is normal and how to reverse it. MannLake has the labels here.

You may not be able to prevent crystallization from happening.

One option is to to wait to bottle until you are closer to selling that honey, which probably means bottling in smaller batches.

You may find this document from the National Honey Board on crystallization useful:
    http://www.honey.com/images/download...allization.pdf
    Graham
    USDA Zone 7A Elevation 1400 ft

Quote Originally Posted by Rader Sidetrack View Post
    One option is to to wait to bottle until you are closer to selling that honey, which probably means bottling in smaller batches.
    Agreed. One bucket is easier to deal with than a bunch of bears (like what happened to me this year) Ive been placing a few of them at a time in the microwave. Heat them up for a few seconds, shake the stew out of them,then repeat. Seems to liquify them pretty good. Im not going to fill up a bunch of anything again - its taken a while to go through all these crystalized bears.

At very least, don't label them until they go out. Gives you the option of sitting them in a pan of warm water.
    Charlie Gassaway

I use an old upright freezer and have a 100 watt light bulb in the bottom plugged into a $50 thermostatically controlled power strip that one can buy at a pet store in their reptile area. I set the thermostat at 100 and in three days you can start the shelf life clock over again. Will take less time if the honey is just starting to sugar. A furniture box works about as well for the hot box and can be folded up and stored in a lot less room when not in use.

I TRY to get some of my honey to crystalise. I find that the best temperature is around 16 to 18 C. It is very slow if it is colder and near impossible if it is warm. I generally run out of crystalised honey by Christmas ( Australia - Christmas = summer!)
    I understand that honey which has been heated or had all the pollen removed will not crystalise at all.
    from the Bee House -http://ecologicalsolutions.com.au/bees/?page_id=8
    40 years - +/- 20 H - TF - Subtropical

thank you

Quote Originally Posted by Vance G View Post
    I use an old upright freezer and have a 100 watt light bulb in the bottom plugged into a $50 thermostatically controlled power strip that one can buy at a pet store in their reptile area. I set the thermostat at 100 and in three days you can start the shelf life clock over again. Will take less time if the honey is just starting to sugar. A furniture box works about as well for the hot box and can be folded up and stored in a lot less room when not in use.
    vance, where did u get the $50 thermostatically controlled power strip

Quote Originally Posted by adamant View Post
    vance, where did u get the $50 thermostatically controlled power strip
    You will also find them at the pet store or on e-bay.
    Better then a 100W light bulb is a Ceramic Bulb - more hear for less W. My combination works really well.
    from the Bee House -http://ecologicalsolutions.com.au/bees/?page_id=8
    40 years - +/- 20 H - TF - Subtropical

Keep it in the freezer (not the refrigerator) it'll stay in a liquid state a long, long time.

Also, a 5 gallon pale fits inside 2 deeps. Add a light bulb & top cover........... instant hot box.......... no old refrigerator needed
    http://OxaVap.com Your source for the Varrox OA Vaporizer,
    "One of the highest ranked" by R. Oliver