Default Bee Happy in the Caribbean

Hola everybody. Greetings from the Dominican Republic!
    I must admit that I have caught bee fever and I now have my first bee hive!
    Just walking out into the gardens and pastures I hear the buzz and it brings a smile to think that at least 1 of the sounds (I tend to think all the buzzing) comes from the colony.
    What an amazing experience!
    I wish to learn everything about these wonderful...ehh creatures (?), insects to assist them to a healthy and productive life to Bee Happy in the Caribbean along myself in a sustainable way.
    My goal is to enhance the surrounding environment for them that is nectar and pollen friendly so that they can thrive.
    Thx

Default Re: Bee Happy in the Caribbean

Welcome, I volunteer to come inspect your hive 8)
    I'm not tense, Just terribly, terribly alert!

The hive I have here is open to inspection and all advice is gladly accepted.
    I wish nothing but the best for this new hive!
    Come volunteer and don't forget to bring your sunscreen!
    Live in harmony with nature, not against it.
    www.edenranch.org

Welcome to Bee Source! I did a bunch of consulting in the DR for a period of time, on your eastern most coast. Beautiful country! Welcome, and best to you and your bees!

Quote Originally Posted by Bees In Miami View Post
    Welcome to Bee Source! I did a bunch of consulting in the DR for a period of time, on your eastern most coast. Beautiful country! Welcome, and best to you and your bees!

Thanks Bees In Miami.
    I feel welcomed to have access to anything bee related, much gratitude for this site.
    Yes, the Dominican Republic is very beautiful. We are on the North coast and enjoy the cool Atlantic breezes on top of the mountain. Did you happen to ado ny consulting about bees?
    The local folk have their own way of doing things here with bees (as you may already know this) and I have been....say diplomatic about my procedure in regards to this alternative way or primitive way of beekeeping. I just want the best for the colony and would like to gather all possible information for the best outcome.
    Live in harmony with nature, not against it.
    www.edenranch.org

No consulting about bees, sorry! It was all culinary related...helping some of the East coast resorts with menu planning/redesign and service training to help draw in folks from the US instead of (mostly) all Europeans. You will learn a bunch here! And pleeease....ignore all the 'winter' stuff!!! This is a year round adventure, for you, and me! You will have to learn your flows, and dearths down there, which is only accomplished by talking to your local beeks! Have fun! Bees are a joy to have, and become more and more fascinating the more you learn! (and trust me, there will ALWAYS be SOMEthing to learn!)

Welcome ER!
    americasbeekeeper.com
    beekeeper@americasbeekeeper.com

Welcome from California
    Dan

Are the wild bees in the DR africanized?

Im from the DR but i left 28 years ago for the US, but i do visit. My uncle used to be a caretaker of an apiary in the mountains and i never saw him inspecting them. What i can tell beekeeping is very handoffish down there. There is always something blooming down there. You can see bees working the palm, coconut, bean, passion fruits, papaya , avocado, bananas, mango trees etc. There are lots of wild bees down there. They love to live in avocado tree cavities. I have seen mango trees bloom in january and citrus shortly after. The vine fruit trees like passion fruits is a constant bloomer. Papaya, palms and coconut tree also are constant bloomers, from what i can remember