Default Can I cook a two layered candy board?

I cooked one batch of sugar candy (2 cups of water to 5 lbs. of sugar). I just poured the sugar candy into the candy board. There is room for a second batch of sugar candy in the candy board. Can I just cook another batch of candy and pour the sugar candy on top of the first batch?

Default Re: Can I cook a two layered candy board?

Yes, but it may seperate if you are using a frame as a form and planning to place it in the hive as a frame. If you are laying the candy on top of the frames it does not matter.
    Dan Hayden 4 Years. 12 hives. Tx Free. USDA Zone 5b.

I think you'll be fine with a 2 layer candy board

I think the two layers are likely to separate. I would brush the first layer with a thin coat of water before pouring on the second coat, to encourage the two layers to bond.
    Rusty
    http://www.honeybeesuite.com "A Better Way to Bee"

I've done it. It worked fine. Even if the candy were to fall off the form, it wouldn't be any different than laying it on top of the frames.
    Buy the ticket, take the ride. -H.S. Thompson

Thanks everybody for your help. It is a little early for candy boards but bees think they need it. The candy boards are on now and the bees are happy.

I just added a hot 5 lb batch to a new candy board. Does this candy board need to cool completely before I brush the top layer with water? It takes me 40 plus minutes to make a candy board. The first layer will have cooled for almost an hour before adding the second layer. The reason for the small batches is to reduce the risk of burning the sugar. I do not add lemon or vinegar so it takes awhile for the sugar to turn to sucrose.

Pour it right on. You can wait or not. I don't do anything to the first batch before pouring on the second.

My usual method is to do two batches one right after the other for each feeder and I haven't seen any issue with it. Why two batches? The smaller stainless pot fits the burner better and heats up quicker than my larger one (even with two batches).

I used a pastry brush and brushed a thin coating of water on the first layer and then poured on the second layer. I appreciate this water brushing hint Rusty 67. Thanks Spinner also for your tips.