Thread: Hive disaster

Default Hive disaster

The pics, if they aren't upside down, show the only hive that wasn't bottom-boarded with a beetle tray-style trap. It was the smallest of the three hives.
    Should all the foundation be replaced, cooked, or incinerated? image.jpg
    Last edited by DocHivetool; 10-27-2013 at 12:32 PM. Reason: Update--the pic is upside down

Default Re: Hive disaster

Wax moths. If there is any brood left, shake the bees off any other frames and freeze them for at least 24 hours, thaw, pull the webbing off, and return to the hive.

You will need to reduce that hive to a nuc if you want it to survive, and I suspect it won't anyway, not enough bees if there were wax moths busy in there, the bees normally keep them under control. If you have another hive, I'd combine, or just shake the bees out on a warm day and let them find a new home.

Peter

A big question is are they queenless? They should not have gotten that weak.

Combine and reduce to a nuc.
    or If you have other hives give them a frame with eggs and a frame of bees that are getting ready to emerge. but time is short for them to build up.
    Old Guy in Alabama

Check to see if queenless, put into a nuc so can be stronger.
    Good luck.

Looks like it is done for..... it happens to the best of us.
    Freeze the frames for winter, pull off the webbing and start again in the spring.

Dumb question from me about this. Do the bees sting the wax moth larvae? Just curious.

Marshmasterpat, There are know dumb questions Not sure, but my guess would be they drag them out?

A few weeks ago the hives all had a sugar shake. Maybe this one also had a bout of operator error, because at that time it was looking like one solid 10frame box with some venturing into a second box. In less than a month it was reduced to next to nothing. A small cool spell several weeks ago caused me to leave them to seal up the gaps, as the last move I made then was to put on a solid bb. Maybe the QB got a dose of clumsy keeper?