Default quilt top an a screened bottom?

I have been trying to decide what kind of bottom board to use in Illinois. I know a lot of people use screened bottom boards while others use a solid. I was also going to use a quilt type box for my inner. With a screen bottom board and a quilt top, do you guys think that would be to much ventilation in the winter or summer. For my quilt box, I was thinking of just converting a 5 5/8 supper and also modify it be a top entrance. Any ideas on this?

Default Re: quilt top an a screened bottom?

Personally I wouldn't leave a screened btm. fully open inyour area ,I know some people claim to.with great success,but i dont see alot of varroa falling threw in winter so whats the point.

so no screen at all.... just leave a big whole in the bottom of the hive.... never heard of that...

NO . Meaning I would put the Sticky Board in all or most of the way,if u use a screened btm, so as not to leave full Length Screened Bottom wide open as IMO its to much VENTILATION in the winter.

sorry about that. misread it the first time. So i should have some type of board on the bottm

You don't really have to choose between an open bottom and a closed bottom - you can have both.

You can find free plans for a screened bottom board with an optional "closure" board at the bottom here:
    http://www.beesource.com/build-it-yo...-bottom-board/

The plans do not show enough vertical space for an oil tray, but you can simply increase the distance between the screen and the lower closure board to make space for a tray. You will then need to buy or build a tray to hold the oil, and make a wood "plug" to block bee access to the tray while still allowing for maintenance.

The end result is very similar to Country Rubes pre-made version:
    http://store.countryrubes.com/screen...erproofed.aspx

One option for a pre-made metal tray is a half sheet cake pan (13"x18") similar to this:
    http://www.globalsugarart.com/cookie...8856_a_7c26437

Plastic cafeteria/lunchroom trays are also available in a 12"x18" size, generally at a lower price than cake pans.

*(Note that the Beesource plans are in Adobe PDF format. The link shows a thumbnail sketch of the plans, and you need to click on the linked phrase "IPM Screen Bottom Board Plans" to download the actual plans. If Adobe Reader is not installed on your computer, you can get free here: http://get.adobe.com/reader/

Do not confuse the official Adobe Reader program with the "View PDF" banner ad that seems to be running on Beesource at the moment.)
    Last edited by Rader Sidetrack; 10-27-2013 at 10:32 AM. Reason: fix broken link
    Graham
    USDA Zone 7A Elevation 1400 ft

Quote Originally Posted by Goaroundbe View Post
    sorry about that. misread it the first time. So i should have some type of board on the bottm
    It mainly keeps the wind out since there are still gaps allowing some air flow. I cut up old political signs.

Personally, I don't see any difference in health between solid and screened bottoms. The screened bottoms are not a priority for me anymore. They are nice if you are moving hives in hot weather since it allows some extra ventilation.

I don't think a top vent is necessary with SBB except when really hot or in a big flow. Main reason is the bees propolis my inner cover holes closes or atleast reduce the openings. I've left both top and bottom open over winter and the bees made it but were pretty weak come spring.

This year I put 1" green polystyrene board insulation from lowes ontop of the inner cover, so no top vent. If you have a plastic top cover like Kelley's add insulation, 3/4" wood top covers don't really need more insulation. My SBB has an corrugated plasticinspection board slid in with 1-2" open. My hives are on cinderblocks and I put paver stones around them to close off underneath to stop wind gusts. There are still gaps We'll see what happens.

Most of the mites that drop are dead. Rarely do I find live mites on inspection boards, maybe 1-2% are alive within 24 hour check.