Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Vinegar

Default Re: Vinegar

Thanks again Dan
    https://www.facebook.com/stevesbees99
    Please visit my page, Thanks

Beeman, after reading your post #37 could you recommend a yeast. I'm getting ready to buy my equipment for my first batch. I was going with Lalvin D-47, but now I'm looking at Lalvin EC-1118. What would you recommend?

Thanks Steve

Default Re: Sweetening Vinegar

Quote Originally Posted by Supersedeme View Post
    Do you sweeten your vinegars with honey? If so, what ratio do you use?
    I have not done this yet but it is on my list of things to try.
    Dan www.boogerhillbee.com
    Experience is a hard teacher because she gives the test first, the lesson afterwards

Quote Originally Posted by Fishman43 View Post
    Do you pasteurize before bottling? If so to what temp and for how long?
    I don't pasteurize my vinegar....it seems unnecessary and many folks want a living colony of acetobacters as they are claimed to have some health/digestive benefit.
    Experience is a hard teacher because she gives the test first, the lesson afterwards

Quote Originally Posted by sfisher View Post
    I was going with Lalvin D-47, but now I'm looking at Lalvin EC-1118. What would you recommend?
    When I make vinegars I want all of the sugars fermented.....I mean totally. So I try to be sure that the potential alcohol of my must is less than the alcohol tolerance of the yeast I'm using. I think if you mix up a batch with an 8% potential, either of those yeasts should be fine. Ordinarily I use a champagne yeast...typically with an 18% tolerance. I don't have any brand loyalty when it comes to yeast. I believe I used a Red Star champagne yeast on my last batches.

No racking right?

4 weeks for yeast to ferment?

Then how long for the mother?

Braggs ACV has a sediment in the bottom, is it yeast?

Quote Originally Posted by FlowerPlanter View Post
    No racking right?

4 weeks for yeast to ferment?

Then how long for the mother?

Braggs ACV has a sediment in the bottom, is it yeast?
    I'd give the initial fermentation 6 weeks. Then test with a hydrometer to be sure that the sugars are totally fermented out.
    Then I'd rack it off of the fermenting lees Add the Braggs. You should see a mother beginning to form within 6 weeks. It should remain undisturbed for 10 - 12 months.
    The sediment in the bottom of the Braggs is remnants of the mother, I believe.
    Good luck.

Quote Originally Posted by beemandan View Post
    I'd give the initial fermentation 6 weeks. Then test with a hydrometer to be sure that the sugars are totally fermented out.
    Then I'd rack it off of the fermenting lees Add the Braggs. You should see a mother beginning to form within 6 weeks. It should remain undisturbed for 10 - 12 months.
    The sediment in the bottom of the Braggs is remnants of the mother, I believe.
    Good luck.
    A few Q's for anyone........does your vinegar have the blond color like Braggs or do you have a redish coloration?
    I squeeze apples and ferment with honey for good drinking. Found a bottle marked '94 crabby. It was in a champaign bottle and bubbled all the way down. Even the wife liked it. I keep my vinegar operation in another location from the mead/beer projects to avoid contamination. One more Q--how can I test for % acid. We pickle lots of veggies from the garden--they're quite good. Local farmer's marketers indicate regulators specify 5%--I don't know why
    BBZZZZZ

My mead vinegar so far has stayed the blond color.

Beemandan can you answer this question? I have a mead that I made using 3lbs of honey for a gallon of mead. I did not take a reading of the must, because at the time I didn't know how to use a hydrometer. Anyway I want to make vinegar with this mead and I am afraid that there will still be honey left in it because the yeast I used only goes to about 12 percent. The question is, can I go-ahead and pitch another yeast in there that finish's higher to see if it will use up all the honey, so I end up with a dry mead?

Got the results back from the lab--my vinegar is 3.5 % acid. I plan to sell at local farmers market. May sell pickles too. I have redish colored and very blond. Apples/honey/well water ferment and turn over a year's time. The only difference was the original yeast. Go figure.
    BBZZZZZ

Buz I thought it had to be 4% to pickle?

Guess I could add water...........lower score is more acid.
    Happy,
    BBZZZZZ

> lower score is more acid

Perhaps you are thinking of pH instead of percentage? With pH, distilled water is a 7, with increasing acidity as the numbers get closer to 1. Numbers higher than 7 are increasingly alkaline.
    Graham
    USDA Zone 7A Elevation 1400 ft

Beemandan - When you do your initial mead fermentation with the Champaign yeast do you add any acid, yeast nutrient, tannins, or use campden tablets in the brewing process? Or is it just the must and yeast? Thank you

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123