Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Vinegar

Default Re: Vinegar

So how do you keep it when it is vinegar? We make a lot of cider and we make it because most of the apples are small (too many bees) or have a russet. I was thinking of making vinegar this last year when we were running out of storage for the cider (put a couple of gallons in the refer and have room for about 4 or 5 gallon jugs in the freezer). I would think canning would be acidic enough to eat the lid and we are out of freezer space.
    ďWhy do we fall, sir? So that we might learn to pick ourselves upĒ Alfred Pennyworth Batman Begins (2005)

Dan, since you sink the mother when you test, if another doesn't form does that mean that it cant turn the vinegar to water?
    https://www.facebook.com/stevesbees99
    Please visit my page, Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by minz View Post
    So how do you keep it when it is vinegar?
    One way I use is to cover the container with handiwrap to seal it. You can do the same thing with any size glass jar. Also…HDPE food grade buckets are rated for medium acid storage.

Most of mine are moved to their final containers pretty quickly.

Quote Originally Posted by sfisher View Post
    Dan, since you sink the mother when you test, if another doesn't form does that mean that it cant turn the vinegar to water?
    I’m not sure I understand. Mothers sink even in mid acidification for any number of reasons…..and over time a new one will form. I suppose that if a finished container of vinegar were left breathing for an indefinite period of time it would ‘go bad’ in some form or another, as the effects of evaporation would alter its makeup. When I sink my mothers to test my vinegar, I move the vinegar to a new container. It is left to breathe through a filtered opening for about four weeks…surely not long enough to make a significant difference in the underlying mixture.
    Dan www.boogerhillbee.com
    Experience is a hard teacher because she gives the test first, the lesson afterwards

I have just read that if you leave the mother in your vinegar with oxygen after all of the alcohol is consumed it will start turning your vinegar to water. So I was wondering if after you go the month without the mother reforming are you safe from that happening. I would guess that even if it does all that you would have to do is cut the oxygen off. I am going to make vinegar in 5 liter oak barrels I am guessing that they would be a poor joice for aging unless they were filled completely to the top. Do you know approximately how long after the alcohol is gone does it start making carbon dioxide and water?

beemandan
    you are over the top cool in the subject I love this stuff so keep us updated on this subject

Beemandan, do you make your own mead? If you do I would like to ask you this question. I have read that a new mead, one that has just fermented and racked, can be hot or gasoline tasting. And that these meads need to age for up to a year to mellow out. Are they safe to make vinegars with when they are that young, or should they be aged first before you make the vinegar.
    Could you make a vinegar with the hot mead, and then age the vinegar for up to a year. Would that mellow it out?

Thanks Steve

Quote Originally Posted by danno View Post
    beemandan
    you are over the top cool in the subject I love this stuff so keep us updated on this subject
    Very kind of you. Like many other things…when I find something I like doing I tend to talk a lot about it….vinegar being no exception.

I have just read that if you leave the mother in your vinegar with oxygen after all of the alcohol is consumed it will start turning your vinegar to water.
    I don’t know the process but I’ve read that if a vinegar is allowed to go too long it will ‘spoil’. But…my sense of it is that we are talking about an extended period of time…much longer that four weeks.

I do make meads….just never like them. I keep making them all the same…convinced that one day I’ll discover one I really enjoy. I have a blueberry mead that was bottled earlier this year. A strawberry mead bottled a few weeks ago. An apple cider mead that is still fermenting. And a gallon plus of new season sourwood honey to brew as soon as a fermenter is freed up. When I taste my new meads…as I’m first bottling them…..it is all I can do not to pour them down a drain. After four or five years they seem palatable…not good but palatable. On the other hand I’ve had mead lovers insist that my meads are grand. I think its just the way my taste is tuned (don’t tell anyone but I’m not a big honey fan either).

As quickly as my vinegar meads have fermented completely I inoculate them and send them on their way to acidification. I probably should try to acidify a five year old mead and see how it turns out but simply have never done so. Funniest thing….I like my vinegars. Go figure.
    Last edited by beemandan; 10-31-2013 at 06:19 AM.
    Experience is a hard teacher because she gives the test first, the lesson afterwards

I tried for years to make dry meads. I love dry reds and whites so why not meads. I didn't like any of them. I tried them still and carbonated but they all sucked. We did make vinegar out of many. One day I decided to make a desert mead by sorbating and back sweetening. This was drinkable although I'm still not into a sweet wine of any kind. I made 5 gallons of chocolate mead. Now that was and is interesting. It took a year for the cocoa to settle out in a secondary. A few years ago I made a braggot that hit about 18%. I made it still and its very drinkable but lived in a secondary for about 18 months. I made a blueberry in 2012 on the sweet side and bring out a bottle when we have zinfandel tipe freinds over. Another one to try is joe's ancient orange mead. The recipe is easily found on the web. I tried it years ago but I'm not big a citrus in any alcohol drink and it comes out crazy sweet so I just gave it all away but many love the stuff. I built my home in 2005 and added a 1000 bottle underground wine cellar. Steady 55 deg without heat or cooling

Iíve sampled blue ribbon contest meadsÖno go. The only thing I discovered was that the judges seem to like sweet meads. I made meads following the recipes of nationally known meaders. Iíve tried commercial meads. Iíve yet to find one I enjoyed. Iíve fermented the fruit with the honey. Iíve fermented the honey, sulfited, then added the fruit. Still nada. I do hold out some hope for the sourwood honey. As I said, I donít especially like honey but sourwood is pretty good. Iím hoping that whatever it is in ordinary honey that puts me off is the same thing that makes the meads unenjoyableÖand so, it might be that a sourwood mead is the answer. Iíll let you know in a few years.

. I was teaching a meadmaking workshop at the GA Beekeeping Institute last May. I passed around samples of a couple of my meads. One lady in the class was doing the honey judging program. She said that my meads were every bit as good as any of the contest entries. SoÖI donít think itís the meads I make but my taster just isnít tuned to mead.

I built my home in 2005 and added a 1000 bottle underground wine cellar. Steady 55 deg without heat or cooling
    Now that is a worthwhile addition! I may have to expand my honey/vinegar house in the next year or so and have considered adding a cellar for a variety of uses

Hello:
    I have an abundance of apples because my bees did such a good job pollinating this year so I thought I would like to try this too. Below is a link to a recipe I found.
    http://www.food.com/recipe/homemade-...vinegar-500431
    But every sunday afternoon he is a dirt track demon
    In a '57 chevrolet- Jim Croce

[QUOTE=Colino;1015341]Hello:
    I have an abundance of apples because my bees did such a good job pollinating this year so I thought I would like to try this too. Below is a link to a recipe I found.
    http://www.food.com/recipe/homemade-...vinegar-500431[/QUOTE
    I would have to say don't try this at home kids. I would do way more reading. This recipe is wrong

This recipe is wrong
    I'll second this.

Exactly what is wrong with it there are many others online almost identical?

Colino, what your link describes may be something like kombucha. Iíve had a number of folks tell me about it but I must admit I donít really understand or trust the process.
    A properly made vinegar is the product of two different natural process. In the first all of the sugars in the original material are fermented into alcohol. In the second the alcohol is converted to acid by a specific family of bacteria. When you produce a vinegar for consumption you want to choose a mix of ingredients that will result in a high enough acid content to be safe and you want to be sure that both processes run to completion. The recipe you linked doesnít, as I see it, really seem to provide any specified method for either conversion. It also doesnít make any effort to assure you that the end product has a high enough acid content to keep it from growing colonies of potentially dangerous bacteria. I may have missed something but it simply doesnít look safe to me.
    Good luck.

This detailed publication from Ohio State University Extension on making cider vinegar follows the "two step" basics that Dan outlined above:

http://ohioline.osu.edu/hyg-fact/5000/pdf/5346.pdf

It is quite different from the food.com recipe linked earlier.

Last edited by Rader Sidetrack; 11-03-2013 at 06:11 AM.
    Graham
    USDA Zone 7A Elevation 1400 ft

Dan I read somewhere that when making vinegar out of mead, you should choice a dry mead. I forgot exactly what it said about it, but it was just better to use dry. What do you think about that, do you use dry and sweet?

do you use dry and sweet?
    Yes. Residual sugars seem to complicate the whole process to my thinking. The way I do it....I start with a potential alcohol of 16% and ferment with an 18% champagne yeast to completion. Then I dilute the 'mead' to 8% and start the acidification.

Thanks beemandan I'll do more research. I'll have to check out this Kombucha because there are a lot of recipes I found out there that look like the one I posted.

Default Sweetening Vinegar

Do you sweeten your vinegars with honey? If so, what ratio do you use?

Quote Originally Posted by beemandan View Post
    Most of mine are moved to their final containers pretty quickly.
    Do you pasteurize before bottling? If so to what temp and for how long?