Default Dirty dishwater color

I recently mixed a galllon batch of traditional sweet mead with spring honey. It's been fermenting for a couple of weeks and the color has gone from a rather pleasent light golden color to more of a dirty dish light gray. Will it clear and the gray precip out once I rack and let it sit for awhile?

Default Re: Dirty dishwater color

Meads can take months to clear after fermentation. They can also range in color from clear to golden with red, yellow or any combination of tones. I made a buckwheat mead then looked like Jim beam, while my orange blossom was yellow. What you are seeing is sediment suspended in the mead it will settle out and the mead will clear in time. just have patience, you can make good mead, fast mead, and cheap mead, Pick any two.

your not stirring up the Lees before you look at it are you ?
    if there is any (mud) in the bottom, let it sit for a while and rack again it may take a couple of times.

The traditional meads are still a bit cloudy but coming around to a better color. The antique orange (oranges, cinnamon, raisins) suddenly went clear with a nice golden color. I've read "wait until the fruit sinks before bottling;" the fruit is looking rather washed out but is still floating proudly. Is waiting for the fruit to sink an accurate statement?

I usually rack off the fruit pretty quickly. I find it has given itsbest after ten days. Then let it spend sometime! I really dislike the batches i rushed to bottle that are delicious but too ugly to give away because of sediment. PATIENCE.

Good to hear Vance, everything has been fermenting for well over two months and I was wanting to rack the antique orange but didn't want to "short change" it by racking before the fruit sank.

It just dawned on me, are you making Joes Ancient Orange Mead? That recipe calls for waiting until the fruit sinks. What kind of yeast did you use? The bread yeast that JAOM calls for is the worst stuff in the world to get settled out.

Used standard baker's yeast, aggressive stuff that blew excess fermentation foam out the airlock. It was extremely cloudy until last week, suddenly everything settled out and it's very clear (with fruit still floating).

Sounds like JAOM. Rack it off if it is clear or let it sit till the fruit sinks. No matter what you do, good luck getting the clear wine/mead off the sediment. I thought mine was settled and the bottled product has really obcene nasty looking lees. Patience was never my strong suit.