17 pounds honey
five pounds of frozen peeled mandarin oranges
4 sliced very good valencias
4 cinnamon sticks
1/8 tsp nutmeg
1/8 tsp allspice
1tbsp fleichmans rapid rise bread yeast
I have no raisins so I will add a half pound tomorrow after I get to the store.
Aereating with a fine ancient aquarium pump and yea olde philosophers airstone. Air lock it!
That is quite a pile of honey in the bottom of a carboy! Not used to seeing that as I do primary ferment in a bucket.
Water to three inches low/ will fill later after activity wans.
I started this batch in July for a party and it didn't quite get done on time. It still seemed to disappear though. The real recipe calls for an orange a gallon, 25 raisins, 1 cinnamon stick, one clove and a small pinch each of the other spices. I wish I had OB honey to use. You just cut the orange in eigths and jam it in the gallon jar. The mandarin oranges were why I cut down on valencias and messed up the final result. It finishes sweet and it tried to really finish sweet with the extra sugar in the mandarins. I took a half gallon of 1.040 sweet mead out for the party and refilled the carboy with a mixture of orange juice and apple juice which I sweetened to 1.040. This diluted the oversweet rest and it started working again and is down to 1.032 and I am hoping for a little dryer. Still time to start this. It likes 70's and low eighties and a dark place. It is done when it clears and the fruit starts to drop. Mines not done but it is pretty good still. I think it will be great for the Holidays. I also think a gallon is the wimp clause. I bet this stuff would be much better with a year or so of age on it.