Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Brad nailer or stapler

Which is more useful for building woodenware including frames the stapler or the brad nailer and what about the ones at harbor freight they make one that does both or is it better to go with one or the other.
    Last edited by laketrout; 12-02-2013 at 05:23 PM.
    Second Year 4 Hives T USDA Zone 5b

Default Re: Brad nailer or stapler

I use Harbor Freight 1/4" crown stapler for boxes and frames. IMO each shot with the stapler is twice the holding power as a nail just my 2cents
    Ed, KA9CTT profanity is IGNORANCE made audible
    you can`t fix stupid not even with duct tape

Harbor Freight sales one that will do both. I have one and it works great.

The staples have much more holding power. As mentioned they have two shafts but the top ties strap portion has many times the pull through the wood resistance of even two brads, if that makes sense.

I have one that does both but I dont use the brads on frames.

I am a trim carpenter and i use both the stapler is best

I also use the Harbor Freight 18 gauge nailed/stapler. I put two staples down through the top bar on each side, one staple on each side of the bottom bar, and then a brad through the end bar on each side into the top bar for extra stability. Glue all joints with titebond III also.

I just picked up a second gun at HFT so I don't have to keep changing ammo. The price is right and it one goes down, I can still keep building. The new design is much better for clearing jams too, no more taking allen screws out to clear a jam, there is a spring clip for easy access.

Tom

harbor freight stapler for frames. rigid finish nailer, 16 gauge stainless steel finish nails for rabitt joint supers, a couple of deck screws per corner also. for box joint supers good old hammer and galvanized nails..tite-bond III in every joint always.

Is this the one that is working good with staples and brads . http://www.harborfreight.com/18-gaug...ler-68019.html

I didn't see any combos that come with the compressor and the stapler - nailer , did I miss it .
    Second Year 4 Hives T USDA Zone 5b

Laketrout -

That is the one I have been using. I will admit that the 3/4" brad string will sometimes separate and jam up. Staples have not really been an issue for me. I'm hoping dedicating one to brads may give a little better results as I will not be swapping ammo.

Tom

Stapler is the best

Wow, a lot of people using Chinese tools. I prefer Senco, and staples in frame assembly.
    Regards, Barry

Quote Originally Posted by Barry View Post
    Wow, a lot of people using Chinese tools. I prefer Senco, and staples in frame assembly.
    Ditto on Senco Barry. Had one work over 20 year till it got melted. Sadly I think the current ones might be made in China also. Have another one arriving tomorrow. Great for supers and frames. Have assembled 1000's of boxes and 10's of thousands of frames with the same gun. The old one went to another one of our ops so I ordered the current model of my old one for use here in CA. We use Senco NBAB17 staples on both boxes and frames for long term strength and durability of equipment.

http://www.acmetools.com/tools/SENCO...S200XP+Stapler

Regards, Barry

According to this article, Senco staplers have been made in China for a decade. Most of the nails and staples, however, are made in Ohio.

Sencorp, a family-owned business founded in 1951, had filed for bankruptcy reorganization in May 2009, putting hundreds of local jobs at risk. The business moved the production of power nailers and staplers to China a decade ago, but the bulk of its nails and staples – which account for three-quarters of its revenue – are made in Cincinnati.

Read the full article here:
    http://www.bizjournals.com/bizjourna...o-nail-it.html
    ultracrepidarian >> noting or pertaining to a person who criticizes, judges, or gives advice outside of his expertise

Reading the above, I could use 1 1/4" staples if I was constructing boxes using butt joints? Doesn't sound right. I was planning on using deck screws, but glue with a $22 nailer/stapler seems far easier. Can someone clarify of I misunderstood?

Oh well, all 5 of my Senco's are pre 2009!
    Regards, Barry

Harbor freight runs them on sale cheap enough just get both. If they aren't on sale this week just wait till next week. The staples they sell jammed quite often and I thought it was a bad gun but I picked up a box from Lowes and they work great!

I run the HF stapler.. I pick them up for 15 bucks per... I have 4 on the shelf, but haven't broken the first one yet.. I've put at least 10k staples through the HF staplers with only ~5 jams or so.. You open the little latch on the front at the staples fall out... Almost only shoot 1.5" staples..
    Solo for the last 4 Years, ~60 Hives, TF + Oils.
    http://tradingwebsites4bees.com

I like to run a nail through the end instead of a staple. Course I owned both all ready.
    David

I use 1/4" crown staples for everything. 1" long for frames. 1 1/4" when you want to nail a one by to a one by and not go through. 1 1/2" minimum for boxes (the maximum my gun will take, but 2" would be better and I think some guns will do those). 5/8" when you want to nail screen onto a one by and not go through
    Michael Bush bushfarms.com/bees.htm "Everything works if you let it." ThePracticalBeekeeper.com 40y 200h 37yTF