Default It's 10/24/13 and I found a bee hive on my friends property

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=teIiEX2dQvY

Backside of the tree:
    http://i.imgur.com/WDSD9ge.png

I just started my interested in bees about a month ago and what do you know, my friend has a wild beehive on his property. Since it is October, should I leave them alone or try and capture them? The opening is pretty high up, and if you put your ear to the tree it is loud with buzzing.

http://littlecreekbeeranch.blogspot....e-without.html

This gave me some idea on how to go about it.

I am a complete novice but I am willing to take a sting

Default Re: It's 10/24/13 and I found a bee hive on my friends property

The colony needs to make it through the winter, I think they would do it better where they are now, also a good chance you won't get the queen, in which case you will have to buy one, may be hard to get this time of year. I think I would wait until spring to get them.

Much better to wait until spring when the colony is building up and has the resources to bounce back from the stresses of a cutout. Even if you don't get the queen, they could raise one from the abundant brood that time of year.

Also a novice, but I have hived two swarms with lemongrass oil baited boxes this year. If you have an old langstroth box, you can use that, or a half sized top bar hive, which worked for me. Bees in the southwest seem to swarm a lot! Let them come to you

Wait until spring. Bee trees are a gift - best not to ruin them without good reason.
    NM desert/mountain beekeeper - Black Mesa Honeybees.

Wait until Spring, then harvest two or three colonies utilizing a bee trap that you can build.

Send me an e-mail.. cchoganjr@scrtc.com and I will send you a 12 page document that explains trapping, and how to make your own trap. Get it set up this Winter, then harvest yourself 2 or 3 colonies by mid-May or early June. Then leave the tree alone and harvest two or three colonies the next year, and each year thereafter..

cchoganjr

Thank you very much for the information. I will put it to good use this winter to build the traps, build hives, and continue learning about bees.