Default Refurbishing an old 30 frame Extractor.

Hi All
    I made a trip from NY to Indiana last week and purchased an older 30 frame Stainless Extractor. I have a few questions on refurbishing this unit. The unit is non-computerized (which appealed to my intellect...LOL), it is called an Adjustable Clutch. I have broken it down, and removed the spin basket, as well as the top and bottom metal reinforcement bands, and the motor and top plate with mechanics. I intend on sandblasting soon, polishing the stainless, and restoring. My questions are as follows:
    1.) What Kind of Paint should I utilize (Epoxy, Powder Coat, or other)?
    2.) The basket was seated whereby grease was exposed on the base of the pedestal. My friends and I believe that we can replace this with a sealed bearing. Has anyone done this, if so where did you track down the bearing?????
    (Fastenal or a similar company perhaps?)
    3.) Would replacement color matter? The current color is white. (I would just assume use Pittsburgh Black and Gold......LOL)
    4.) Is there anything I may not be considering which may be important to resale?
    5.) Also, the person I bought it off from pointed out that it can take more frames with special basket clips, allowing it to accomadate up to 60 frames. Any idea where I could track clips down, and are they model specific?
    Thanks for your input in advance....Cheers,
    Greathorned

Default Re: Refurbishing an old 30 frame Extractor.

If it is painted I would suspect that it is not stainless steel.
    And if it is stainless, I would be cautious sand blasting it. I have been able to obtain parts for extractors of that vintage from the manufacturers, in the case of my extractors, Maxant and Dadant.

Note that even brand new extractors have an exposed bearing inside the drum. This is OK because a food-grade grease is used on the bearing. The bearing that I am familiar with is essentially a single large stainless steel ball sitting inside a cup-like housing. Modifying an existing extractor to use a sealed bearing is not a route that will be very fruitful, IMO.

I agree with Ollie's comments above, but if you do decide to paint, CamCoat paint is one to consider:
    http://www.brushymountainbeefarm.com...oductinfo/615/
    Graham
    USDA Zone 7A Elevation 1400 ft

From a few yeas back:

Penny - Dadant extractor parts
    755 Oak St.
    Dallas City, IL 62330
    Bus: 2178523324
    Bus Fax: 217 852-3806
    Hm Fax: (217) 852-3806

We replace bearing in different machines frequently. The easiest way is to take the bearing in to a bearing shop. They measure and match no problem. Sometimes we change to upgrade wear or performance standards. We use Boca bearings. I'm sure you have something similar.

Gene