Thread: My OB Hive

Default My OB Hive

DSCN0560.jpgDSCN0561.jpgI live in Northern Mi, this is going on my 2nd winter. The OB hive I call a hive maker, it swarms about 2 times a year and I replace my winter loses in my langs. I let them do it all, I let them make there Queens. I started first buying a maked queen, they just killed her. Let them do there thing and you will be fine. I built this myself from Bonntera bees Plans, it is a 10 frame swing away. They go into the winter with at least 4 1/2 frames of honey.

Chuck
    Last edited by chas10; 10-20-2013 at 07:46 AM.

Default Re: My OB Hive

Chas10 that is the coolest thing I have seen in a while. I would love to do that at my house, how hard was this to build and where do I fine the plans.
    My question is how do you install the bees into this and how do you work them. If you have time to explain I'd appreciate it.
    BEES ARE NOT AN OPTION

chase10, you did a really good job building the OBhive. I have been looking around and saw the plans on there website. how hard are they to follow? And about how much will it cost to build one myself? just a ball park number please.

Thanks guys, plans come from Bonterra Bess. The plans are good and pretty easy to follow. you will need some wood working tools, the biggest thing is dato out the slots for the frames. I did this on a radio arm saw, this stuff is nice if you have it, Table saw, drill press etc. for what it cost for the plans, just buy them and you will always have them and build when ready. the 10 frame is what you need for my weather or at least 8 frame, if I built another one it would be 12. they sell for around $800.00 from Bonterra and I built this for $118.30, got a deal on the oak and the most expensive was the glass from the local glass co. Putting Bees in is explained in plans, but lean the hive next to house pull the glass off one side shake package in, put queen in with here cage put glass back on, leave bottom vent hole open 95% will be in hive in half hour, bring in house, your done, off course you have already mounted on your wall and test fitted everything before you deal with the bees!!!! I don,t like package bees anymore, but i think for the first time that is the way to go. seams a lot lately they will not accept the queen OB/Lang IMO. Put a marked queen in and she come up missing, bought another she come up missing, let them make there own and the rest is history. They swarm 2 times in late spring and been fortune enough to catch everyone, SO THEY MAKE ALOT OF QUEENS
    Last edited by Barry; 12-09-2013 at 07:53 AM. Reason: language