Default While grafting for Queen the cups with grafted larvae are placed up-side down

I was surprised while watching videos on grafting Queen Larvae cups where placed up-side down. Does larvae don't fall out of the cups. Could some one please explain me how it stays in the cup?

Thanks in advance.

Regards,

Swaroop Kunduru.

Default Re: While grafting for Queen the cups with grafted larvae are placed up-side down

They remain in the cups/queen cells, the same as they do in natural cups/queen cells. I expect it is a complex interaction of surface tension/viscosity/gravity.
    48 years - 50 hives - TF
    Joseph Clemens -- Website Under Constructioni

Default Re: While grafting for Queen the cups with grafted larvae are placed up-side down

The royal jelly that surrounds the larvae is sticky. When you get the larvae into the cup it stays put. You will find that it is difficult to get the larvae off the grafting needle sometimes because it is so sticky. That has been my experience anyway. Some great beekeepers recommended I try the Chinese grafting tool and that helped me get the larvae to pop off more easily. It worked Try grafting you will get to experience it first hand. I really enjoy it. Some new bees will hatch out while you are holding the frame and they walk around while you work. It is quite an experience. Then in about 10 or 11 days you can move the capped cells into some freshly made queenless nucs and wait for your new queens to hatch.

Just a point I thought of while reading this thread. one of the difference for bees between a worker cell and a queen cells is that worker cells are horizontal while queen cells are vertical. is is the turning of the cell upside down that gets the bees to treat it as a queen cell.

The newly emerged bees crawling around are pretty cool.
    Stand for what you believe, even if you stand alone.

Actually, for queen cells, open-side-down, is right-side-up. Bottom's up.
    48 years - 50 hives - TF
    Joseph Clemens -- Website Under Constructioni