Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

Handle on the inside

4K views 15 replies 10 participants last post by  jim lyon 
#1 ·
Well that just about says it all, no?

One day I was slapping together hive supers without a care in the world. Unfortunately, the next day I realized on one lone box, on one lone side....ERROR, ERROR, ERROR. Of course the glue is nice and set now so it's a done deal. I don't mind not having a handle, as I still have three correct handles on the box. And by handle I mean a recessed area cut into the wood. But will the recessed area being on the INSIDE of the box cause me any grief? It's on the long side of the box facing the frames.

thanks!

Josh

#2 ·
I did that once, on only one box... three years later the box is still in use out in a yard somewhere. Every once in a while I notice it again when doing inspections, but it has yet to cause me any grief other than my own annoyance at myself

#6 ·
Since that recessed area will violate bee space against the outside wall the bees will likely build burr comb in that area and fill it with honey. If not, they will likely propolize it back flat. Either way, no real problem. I guess most beekeepers have done this at one time or another.

cchoganjr

#9 · (Edited)
I have yet to pull this little mistake but I do have a box like that which was built by another beekeeper.

For filling imperfections in the wood I use a product called Durams Rockhard, just mix water into the powder till you have a paste then apply with a puddy knife and let it dry.

#11 ·
Maybe you could just paint a handle on the outside (a la Wile E. Coyote)?

If you need the handle, slapping a cleat on can be done while it is occupied.

...and yes, I have one box like this, and I'm annoyed at myself every time I come across it in the yard :)

#14 ·
I like the idea of painting the handle on the side. A nice shadow effect to make it look recessed. lol

It hasn't been put into use yet so I'm probably gonna fill the recess with one of the suggestions above and hope my OCD will let me live without fixing the outside.

#15 ·
Desmond was smart and lucky enough to assemble his boxes in my shop. I caught him with this box before the glue dried. It pays to work with us 40+ year experience guys.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.