Embarrassed Handle on the inside

Well that just about says it all, no?

One day I was slapping together hive supers without a care in the world. Unfortunately, the next day I realized on one lone box, on one lone side....ERROR, ERROR, ERROR. Of course the glue is nice and set now so it's a done deal. I don't mind not having a handle, as I still have three correct handles on the box. And by handle I mean a recessed area cut into the wood. But will the recessed area being on the INSIDE of the box cause me any grief? It's on the long side of the box facing the frames.

thanks!

Josh

Default Re: Handle on the inside

I did that once, on only one box... three years later the box is still in use out in a yard somewhere. Every once in a while I notice it again when doing inspections, but it has yet to cause me any grief other than my own annoyance at myself

I think most of us who have assembled a number of boxes all at once have at least done that one time before. I always chuckle when I come upon it in the yard.........
    Last edited by snl; 10-21-2013 at 01:04 PM.
    http://OxaVap.com
    Your source for the Varrox Vaporizer, "One of the highest ranked" by R. Oliver

You are not the first and won't be the last to do that. Yes I have done it also!

Great to hear! It'll just be my little secret then. Thanks!

Since that recessed area will violate bee space against the outside wall the bees will likely build burr comb in that area and fill it with honey. If not, they will likely propolize it back flat. Either way, no real problem. I guess most beekeepers have done this at one time or another.

cchoganjr

Mix some wood glue and sawdust into a paste and press into the handle cut out. Works great as a filler, I use it to fill large knot holes in boxes made with lumber seconds.
    To everything there is a season....

If you have the box out of service, do as Mike said above, then cut the handle on the correct side. If it cuts through, fill it with wood glue and sawdust as Mike said and fill in the hole. Sand and after painting, you will never notice it.

cchoganjr

I have yet to pull this little mistake but I do have a box like that which was built by another beekeeper.

For filling imperfections in the wood I use a product called Durams Rockhard, just mix water into the powder till you have a paste then apply with a puddy knife and let it dry.
    Last edited by WWW; 10-22-2013 at 12:18 PM.
    Bill...in Southeast Ohio

Quote Originally Posted by WWW View Post
    For filling imperfections in the wood I use a product called Durams Rockhard, just mix water into the powder till you have a paste then apply with a puddy knife and let it dry.
    Bondo works well also......

Maybe you could just paint a handle on the outside (a la Wile E. Coyote)?

If you need the handle, slapping a cleat on can be done while it is occupied.

...and yes, I have one box like this, and I'm annoyed at myself every time I come across it in the yard
    The perils of benefactors; The blessings of parasites; Blindness blindness and sight -Joni Mitchell 'Shadows and Light'

Quote Originally Posted by deknow View Post
    That's too easy, we need to have a million threads suggesting other fixes!!!

Quote Originally Posted by snl View Post
    That's too easy, we need to have a million threads suggesting other fixes!!!
    Ok...a thin blade on an oscillating saw...cut out a rectangular section that includes the handle, flip it inside for out, and glue it back in place. That could be done while occupied as well

deknow
    The perils of benefactors; The blessings of parasites; Blindness blindness and sight -Joni Mitchell 'Shadows and Light'

I like the idea of painting the handle on the side. A nice shadow effect to make it look recessed. lol

It hasn't been put into use yet so I'm probably gonna fill the recess with one of the suggestions above and hope my OCD will let me live without fixing the outside.

Desmond was smart and lucky enough to assemble his boxes in my shop. I caught him with this box before the glue dried. It pays to work with us 40+ year experience guys.

Quote Originally Posted by deknow View Post
    Maybe you could just paint a handle on the outside (a la Wile E. Coyote)?

...and yes, I have one box like this, and I'm annoyed at myself every time I come across it in the yard
    Perhaps ACME makes a box handle in a can?
    We have all done it. I am still waiting for someone to figure out how to do it on an end piece. I find myself more amused than annoyed when I find one, though. I just blame whoever I am working with that day.
    "People will generally accept facts as truth only if the facts agree with what they already believe."- Andy Rooney