Default Supplemental Feeding to winter a nuc

I just picked up a TBH that has what amounts to a Nuc of bees with little stores, I have a med. box of Langstroth frames full of honey. Has anyone tried putting med lang frames into a TBH but run them 90 degrees to the top bars? I would like to try to winter this nuc over but don't have any TB stores to add to it, I am thinking if I can add the frames and get them close enough to the last top bar they might move over to the frames. I could also add a TB fondant feeder or 2, if I added 2 fondant feeders I assume I would put both at one end? Maybe I am trying too hard and should just start over next spring. I would like to learn from your experience.

Default Re: Supplemental Feeding to winter a nuc

Quote Originally Posted by longtom View Post
    Has anyone tried putting med lang frames into a TBH but run them 90 degrees to the top bars?
    I think I just thought this through a little further. It would be easier to move the TBH bars into a deep Langstroth and then put the medium frames of honey into the deep with a couple of 2 X 8 to fill the void under the medium frames. Then add a fondant feeder on the Deep. I could shake a couple frames of bees in with the nuc to give it a few more bees. I think this could work. Ideas? Then again maybe I should just let it go and start over next spring.

Default Re: Supplemental Feeding to winter a nuc

I haven't done the 90 thing with the Lang bars but I did do a chop n crop of a Lang nuc into a TBH. I have also cut the TBH combs off and rubber banded them into Lang deep frames. You could go either way but it is easier to put the combs into the Lang. If you crop the honey frames (cut off the sides and bottom of the frame and then shape the comb to fit the hive) you can always feed them the honey from the cropped ends so it wouldn't be wasted. You would need to put spacers between the frame tops so that there aren't gaps.