Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default requirements for moving bees into florida

Does anyone have any info on requirements or the process for moving hives into florida for the winter. I searched but couldnt find anything. I figured a inspection from your home state. any other info?

scott

Default Re: requirements for moving bees into florida

http://www.freshfromflorida.com/Divi...ary-Inspection

If you start here I think you can find most of the answers you need within a click or two.
    There is contact info there as well.

Florida is overrated. Lots of snakes, SHB and varroa populations growing all year. Bring lots of money for syrup, bear fencing and treated pallets termites are hard on equipment. (Except in agricultural areas the year round spraying keeps them down)!

Quote Originally Posted by scokat View Post
    Does anyone have any info on requirements or the process for moving hives into florida for the winter. I searched but couldnt find anything. I figured a inspection from your home state. any other info?

scott
    Call NYS Apiculturalist Paul Cappy in Albany.

Do you have an apiary picked out?
    Mark Berninghausen "That which works, persists."

I know that I would not go down there, bees and queens from the southern states have never been any good for me or anyone that I know. Keep north of the Arkansas to Arizona.

Mbeck-

This is my second year doing it. I get inspected here in Virginia, then when I arrive in Florida, usually within a few days. I had to inform them that I was coming in advance. Contact Dave Westervelt <David.Westervelt@freshfromflorida.com> and he can then provide you with additional information. You will get an authorization to bring your bees into the state. You must stop at the border Ag Inspection point with all your paperwork. Have not had anyone at the Ag inspection station come out and look at the boxes. First thing they ask is "are these live bees" then after a few minutes of looking at the paperwork they waive you through. Both times I hit the Ag inspection station at about 1:00 a.m. When I depart Florida, I have to advise the State six weeks prior so they can set a date to inspect the bees. Some inspectors are very thorough, some are not. We will send some colonies and Nucs to the citrus groves in later January to build up and leave Florida in late April.

It seems to me that several states blame Florida for their bee problems, but I cant say thus far that I agree with that assessment.

Quote Originally Posted by matt1954 View Post
    It seems to me that several states blame Florida for their bee problems, but I cant say thus far that I agree with that assessment.
    Well, it is a rather absurd situation. There are oodles of feral bees in Florida...very few are agressive (some are), and they thrive.

But...

Some of the biggest breeders, in order to avoid the appearance of breeding AHB, bring in stock (for both queen and drones) from out of state...stock that does not do as well on its own as the ferals in Florida.

It's like farmers eating Mcdonalds.

deknow
    The irony is free. It's the sarcasm you are paying for....ironically.
    -Felicity Jones in "Chalet Girl"

Can you define
    oodles?
    feral?
    thrive?

Who are these breeders that bring in stock to avoid AHB breeding? I thought different stock was brought in to produce queens that where in demand and adressed the needs of beekeepers that bought from them ,stock that meets the demands of beekeepers better than "ferals".
    I don't think the primary goal of breeders is to produce oodles of feral stock that thrives in water meters.

Quote Originally Posted by Mbeck View Post
    Can you define
    oodles?
    Errr, enough to keep a constantly growing population that is constantly moving into any available cavity. Walls, under trailers, water meter boxes, telephone pedestals, roofs, hollow branches, bird houses.
    feral?
    No one is managing them and they are not simply 1st generation escapees from managed bees.
    thrive?
    How many bee removals do you think are done in Florida each year? I've spent some time doing removals with Keith Councel...I've seen 5 5gallon buckets of honey comb (not brood) come under a single trailer...with rusty cans of raid outside the colony. I'm sure there are some numbers somewhere, but I'm sure there are tens of thousands of removals every year in some parts of Florida.

Who are these breeders that bring in stock to avoid AHB breeding?
    We were invited to speak at the Florida State Beekeepers meeting a few years ago...one of the presentations that I was interested to here was from the Miksa operation (I think it was Ted....a young man in his 20's I think). This is a family member of a multigenerational family queenrearing operation, not an outsider that isn't privy to what is going on.
    I was shocked when he said (this was in a public presentation...if he had told me this in private, I wouldn't post it here) that although they were still maintaining some of their own lines, they were not selling them. All the queens they were selling were from breeder queens mated with breeder drone stock...all from outside Florida. This is not "breeding"...they are bringing in new breeder stock every year in order to avoid even the possibiltiy of the appearance of AHB...not building and refining anything.
    Now, can you name a breeder in Florida on the scale of the Miksa operation that is breeding from stock that has been proven and refined in Florida? I'm sure there are some commercial beekeepers who raise their own queens, but for sale? ...to other states?

I thought different stock was brought in to produce queens that where in demand and adressed the needs of beekeepers that bought from them ,stock that meets the demands of beekeepers better than "ferals".
    No, the stock is brought in very specifically to avoid the appearance of propogating AHB.
    The last time I was in Florida (August 2012) was specifically to talk to beekeepers about raising their own queens. The process is considered taboo by so many (and certainly by the powers that be in the AG dept), and no one that _is_ propagating their own queens in Florida is anxious to advertise that fact to the AG dept.

I don't think the primary goal of breeders is to produce oodles of feral stock that thrives in water meters.
    Of course it isn't. ...but someone bringing in new queen and drone stock every season is not really breeding. Propagating a single generation from purchased outside stock is not a breeding program, it is straight up production.
    But those ferals are obviously "fit" for their environment, and obviously posses useful traits (whatever they may be)....the kind of basis for a breeding program that beekeepers are always looking for....unless they are told they must requeen all captured swarms and removals, should requeen with certified stock twice a year, etc.

deknow
    The irony is free. It's the sarcasm you are paying for....ironically.
    -Felicity Jones in "Chalet Girl"

Constantly growing population of bees that are " simply not first generation escapees "? Tens of thousands of removals in some parts? Having first hand experience removing/collecting hives or swarms isn't evidence of a thriving feral population even if one of them was nice one.

Florida beekeepers feel that raising your own queens here is a taboo subject? That hasn't been my experience though I may not talk to as many Florida beekeepers as you. The state AG discourages beekeepers from raising their own queens? That's not true, I would go as far as to say they recommend it. Give them a call. You also misrepresent BMP's that are suggested.

I won't comment on how Miksa runs his operation his youngest son didn't explain it to me. Those that are interested will just have to give him a call. I'm not sure what you would call "his line" but I think others may find he has bees that meet that definition. He imports his drone line? Some of it? Sure. I think his neighbors run few dozen yards maybe his yards.

Amount of ignorance and paranoia regarding AHB on this site among supposedly "educated" and "seasoned" beeks that are "speakers" is amazing. Florida bees and queens are cast under a light of skepticism while breeders in places such as Texas and Arizona are sought out with known/admitted African lines.

BTW: The advice from the latest Florida apiary inspector to visit me and my bees...GROW YOUR OWN QUEENS if you can.

NatureCoast,
    Did your inspector demand you re-queen or suggest methods and policies to promote healthy stock as well as continuing to be a responsible beekeeper? . Do you see 10's of thousands of swarms in your area? How about your stock do you bring new stuff in every year or buy it from a beekeeper here?

I've got stock from different places including Florida and I allow my queens to open mate.

[QUOTE=Nature Coast beek;1014409] Amount of ignorance and paranoia regarding AHB on this site among supposedly "educated" and "seasoned" beeks that are "speakers" is amazing. [QUOTE]

Anything specific you disagree w/ and have alternate knowledge about which you would like toe share w/ us "ignernt folk"?
    Mark Berninghausen "That which works, persists."

I imported 100+ nucs from FL in 2012 and 200 this year. Not one has expressed Africanized behavior. All were open mated from cells in central FL. I personally believe the issue is way overblown.

Queens mated in Florida tend to give you a more aggressive hive. I buy some mated queens from California every year and they are generally more passive than the Florida stock. I think we are drowning the african bee population here with stock from all over. Just my .02

I have to say FBF mates about 15,000 queens a year in central Florida and have no issue with African traits and our bees are calmer than most I have moved or worked for others over the years.
    The farther south you go the more you have to watch out for the African drones mating with your queen. If at all possible you should try to saturate your mating area with enough drones of your choosing to vastly out number drones with unwanted traits. Which is the way we have were ever we are mating.
    As for moving in or out of the state, it is easy once you get started just call your areas inspector and work out a time for them to come inspect and issue your permit to leave and re-enter the state and it is good for a year.

There actually is a great deal of AHB fear in Florida:

http://edis.ifas.ufl.edu/in874

It's certainly not responsible to site a plan to deal with the increased potential for risk that some areas may have as evidence of "a great deal of fear".

Maybe you can find the news story where two park rangers were stung 50 times each after disrupting a hive with a front loader. The story suggested those bees where probably AHB. No, testing just a guess. That would be evidence

No doubt that AHB is on a long list of things Florida beekeepers have to be aware of as they manage their hives. I've seen no evidence to suggest that it's very high on the list of real problems encountered by responsible beekeepers or that difficult to exclude when encountered.
    I may be wrong?

Mbeck - Your sentiments sound quite similar to the German beekeepers of Argentina when asked about AHB.

Crazy Roland

Are you saying they deny an AHB problem that is widespread in Argentina ?

I'm german but not as hard as most and I've no idea the extent of AHB in Argentina.

I just question some of the statements made here. I don't have a lot of experience and I hope I people don't think I'm presenting myself as more knowledgeable then I am.

In my general area of Florida 10's of thousands of hives are brought in from out of state. Are those beekeepers bringing in northern stock or leaving with southern stock.

Lots of hives from Mass and Wis thousands and thousands!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast