Default Too late to start a nuc in Florida?

Hello,

I got a nuc kit from Brushy Mt. in the mail this week for use in the spring here in Central Florida.

But I'm wondering if I could start one now?

Default Re: Too late to start a nuc in Florida?

If you have another queen available and your colony you are going to split from has brood yes you could. If I was you in your location I would wait until willow bloom and your mother colony is in rapid build up mode. You would then have to feed them syrup since you are probally giving them foundation and the colony you are splitting from will get foundation also. If you want to produce more honey and are in a citrus area I would wait until the citrus bloom and make the nuc for swarm control on the mother colony. This would also eliminate the need to feed the nuc and leave you with a stronger honey producer.

I'm not sure where Citrus is, however if you are around maple (especially St Johns river area in central/north fl)starting next week bloom starts
    depending on where you are. I made 50 splits two weeks ago using cells. I plan on making 100 more in about 10 days using queens. If you have a good colony now is a great time to split. I even split without brood if I can get 5 frames of bees. Will work great. On bee inspector splits middle of Dec every year making each colony five framers. With the maple bloom by Feb time to split again.

I guess I learn something new everyday. I waited till mid Feb. and made splits with 3 frames of brood and enough bees to cover those frames plus 2 more frames then gave each a cell. Those bees didn't go to FL till the week before thanksgiving from WI and were allowed to shut down first also.

Quote Originally Posted by suttonbeeman View Post
    I'm not sure where Citrus is, however if you are around maple (especially St Johns river area in central/north fl)starting next week bloom starts
    depending on where you are. I made 50 splits two weeks ago using cells. I plan on making 100 more in about 10 days using queens. If you have a good colony now is a great time to split. I even split without brood if I can get 5 frames of bees. Will work great. On bee inspector splits middle of Dec every year making each colony five framers. With the maple bloom by Feb time to split again.
    I'm in Citrus County. I guess my question is, if i don't have a spare queen, is is it too late in the year for the nuc to grow their own queen?

I'm new at this and don't know if there are still drones in the hives.

It may be too late as this week its been cold and I'm not sure about your drone population. Check to see if you have any drones afte this cold spell...I'm in Ky now and will not be back in Fl until Thursday so I'm not sure how things are now. If you or you beek neighbors have lots of drones you could use a cell of force them(build their own). You can get a queen from hawaii also.

Beeslave....depends on where you are in Fl..mine go dormant in Ky as I go to Fl monday after thanksgiving. My bees start to brood immediately and around Dec 10 Maple starts. My strong bees had swarm cells end of Dec last year! Where I use to go in south Fl and winter in my orange grove areas(frostproof) there is little maple so natural buildup didnt begin until willow in early feb or late jan. I moved out because of spray and no maple and in some spots little willow so you had to feed lots or buildup was slow ....depends where you are!

suttonbeeman, how have your splits done here in Florida during this cold spell?

I was in some of my hives 2 weeks ago, every hive had brood 2-3 frames but no drones. They were bringing in a little pollen. I think thing will start to ramp up after this cold snap I need to get patties on the bees soon.
    A government large enough to provide everything you need is strong enough to take everything you have. T. Jefferson

Hope it warms up by next week. I'm coming down to the ABF Convention next week.

I left Florida Dec 20 and came home for christmas. Heading back down tomorrow. Nucs I started Nov 20 had brood on 2 frames, with 3+ frames bees. Should have started hatching two weeks ago So I expect I'll switch them to hive bodies next week. I fed patties/syrup before I left as weather was going to be cold. Bees have been working Maple since I left and willow should start in a week or two. I'm going to graft next week to make splits after the convention If the bees havent kicked out the drones, I doubt they have as they were carrying pollen/nectar thursday even though it was in the low 50's.

Right now, Oct 25th, 2013 in central Florida area.

Would anyone DARE do a split using a 6-frame nuc this time of year in the central part of Florida?

I have seen drones in my hives.

Is it just a gamble regarding how cold it MAY get down here?

If they have honey/pollen stores and drones, is there a reason NOT to do it?

www.savebeesflorida.com (Honeybee removals and top bar hives)

I'm just south of you in Hernando county and still have lots of drones. If you have drones and are willing to feed maybe until spring go for it.

I have queens that just came back mated and will place cells in splits again next Friday.

Quote Originally Posted by Mbeck View Post
    I'm just south of you in Hernando county and still have lots of drones. If you have drones and are willing to feed maybe until spring go for it.

I have queens that just came back mated and will place cells in splits again next Friday.
    Thanks so much for the tip. I BETTER NOT lose any bees, now.

www.savebeesflorida.com (Honeybee removals and top bar hives)