Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Default Re: Skep beekeeping in Germany

Mites kill bees in skeps like in any other hive. But as sugar got cheap and highly available, skeppists used sugar for feeding the bees.

In the old times, honey comb and bee bread were stomped and pounded into huge drums. The stuff fermented, I reckon it was a lactic acid fermentation. This was the stuff the beekeepers fed their bees in Spring for the buildup.

Nowadays the wheel is re-invented: see SymBeeotic.

http://www.lunduniversity.lu.se/o.o....=6093&id=24890

I think a good portion of the bees' health stems from that food, the continious renewal of the comb (lots of building) and swarming. One has to know, that the microbiom of the Bien consolidates each time the bees form a cluster. As in a winter cluster or swarm cluster. After clustering there are less microbe species within the Bien, but those that come through are beneficial to the bees and stabilized.

There is no silver bullet to the mite problem, but I think, there is a lot we can learn from the old days.

Quote Originally Posted by BernhardHeuvel View Post
    Actually that family kept 3,000 skeps during summer.

Right where Georg Klindworth has had his skep apiary with up to 3,000 skep hives in summer (nowadays the young Klindworth doesn't run any hives anymore), I visited a friend in the Luneburg heathland who runs skeps in the heath.

I took some pictures of him demonstrating skep beekeeping.

First row of pictures: the applying of cow dung to create a nice and snug cover for the skep.

Provide a convenient height of the work bench.

Thinned or worn out patches get refilled with straw, chapped seams get re-sewn or stapled with a wooden staple (sort of).

The most important ingredient is cow dung. Cow dung. It should be

absolutely fresh - because if there a small dandruffs of dried patches it'll disturb the applying of the dung onto the skep.
    Best is fresh cow dung in Spring, because no hard fibres means a smooth skep cover that doesn't come off (cracking) when dried.
    Only dung from cows off the yard, no shed. Needs to be grass fed, no soy, no silage.

The cow dung preserves the skep from moisture and keeps it nice and warm. Also there might be some lactic acid bacteria in the

dung being beneficial to the bees' health?! Maybe.

First skep is turned upside down and the bottom ring gets covered. With long strokes.

The inside of the skep gets a cow dung cover up to the height of one or two rings.

Work thoroughly, dear "heatherman"!

The skep is turned back into original position and first the "eye" of the skep, the flight entrace, gets closed with dung.

Apply the dung onto the cap next.

It has to be nice and smooth.
    You have to wash your hands a few times after....been there!

Quote Originally Posted by TooFarGone View Post
    Bernhard, what excellent pictures you have made! They really complement the 8 part Youtube videos on skep beekeeping. I really like the detail on the queen cages as this was not clear to me in the videos. The Kanetz skep is interesting too.

What are they using as floats in the feeding bowls? I have many drowned bees in my frame feeder, even with the wire "ladders" installed. Seems like the little floats that the skep beekeeper is using would work in a frame feeder too!

Thanks,
    Tim
    Yes, fantastic. So many skills

Quote Originally Posted by BernhardHeuvel View Post
    Mites kill bees in skeps like in any other hive.
    do the beekeepers treat their hives then? Oxalic acid would come to mind
    Last edited by Ian; 10-21-2013 at 07:05 AM.

Fantastic post........

Ian, at last a use for all that Canadian beef cow dung?

Yikes!
    I wonder how the public would react to beekeepers covering their hives with cow dung.

They would be fine if it was organic.

I'm sure you have your toung in your cheek

Bernhard, thank you, this was a great series of posts! Where is this apiary located? I lived in the Hunsruck for a couple of years.

Luneburg!

Great post! Thank you for sharing. I'm actually in Europe now and noticed some old skeps lying around so I was able to share this post as a way to explain alot more than I new about this method.

I visited a dark bee beekeeper and breeder in the far North of Germany. Kai-Michael Engfer (www.nordbiene.de).

Dark bees working a hedgerow of privet (Ligustrum).

Kai and me share a passion: planting trees. This tree was planted by Kai 20 years ago.

Dark bees in front of a five frame hive. Notice the roundish butt, which is a characteristic attribute of pure dark bees.

Bees in front of a skep.

Poking my nose into the entrance.

The apiary is near to the Northern coast of Germany.

[QUOTE=BernhardHeuvel;1012050]Actually that family kept 3,000 skeps during summer.

(nowadays the young Klindworth doesn't run any hives anymore)

Just curious, any ideas why he no longer keeps bees? I took particular interest & watched all the youtube films... It seemed to be their way of life?

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12