Default rehab an old Maxant 3100H

I was lucky enough to obtain an older Maxant 3100H with a 6X3 basket. It looks like an older model, it doesn't have the 3 lugs around the base, it has a rim with bolt holes drilled in it. Everything works great, it spins very smoothly, but it is pretty dirty.

It was stored in a shed with a plastic bag over it, and hadn't been cleaned in years. I was able to spray out most of the old gunk, whcich I guess was honey residue, but there are lots of wax bits and other stuff still in there. Any hints at how best to do thorough cleaning? Or just warm water and elbow grease. I'm a new (2nd year) beekeeper and have never owned an extractor. The basket is also showing a few signs of discoloration, like it is starting to rust or corrode. No actual damage to the metal yet, mainly discoloration. What should I do to address this?

Also, is there anything in particular I should know about long term maintenance?

I plan to order a honey gate and food grade grease for the bearing from Maxant.

All help, recommendations, and experience are appreciated. Thanks!

Default Re: rehab an old Maxant 3100H

Save yourself a couple of $. Any restrant supply house will have the grease. A plastic ball valve will work for a honey gate.

Thanks, I'll look into that.

Wanna get it really clean? Take it to your local self serve car wash.

Food grade grease for your bearings can be found many places where grease is sold. I don't know how one would get it from a restaurant.
    Mark Berninghausen "That which works, persists."

Quote Originally Posted by Irmo View Post
    Also, is there anything in particular I should know about long term maintenance?

I plan to order a honey gate and food grade grease for the bearing from Maxant.
    In general, I don't wash mine, and if I do, I disassemble the basket assembly first. Washing and leaving assembled with result in rust/damage.

You will be hard pressed to find Food grade lube cheaper than maxant..... and same for their honey gates.

You're doing just fine.

You can get a 4ounce tube of food grease from Maxant for $5.50 and a honey gate for $7.99. The best part is you can order it online now!
    Rinsing it with warm water is a great idea and I wouldn't use anything but the 1/2 inch stainless steel ball bearing you can get those also at Maxant .
    Good luck!

Thanks all. I'm going with the gates and tube of goo from Maxant.

@MaxQueenBee27: I'm not sure I understand what you meant by: "....and I wouldn't use anything but the 1/2 inch stainless steel ball bearing you can get those also at Maxant." Can you explain please? Thanks in advance.

Using the stainless steel ball bearing you wont have to worry about it rusting or pieces coming off of it into your honey.
    This is what we use when we put all the extractors together (3100 series and 1400 extractors)

I was given a 2100 Maxant built in 1976 that was left in a chicken coop for a few years. I took a propane torch and used it to melt all the gunk off metal. Heat the tank until the goo starts to run and wipe it quickly with a paper towel. Use lots of towels and gloves.
    Regards
    Joe