Default Dumb Observation

I have 10 hives and have had probably 20 over the last 5 years. I have my entrance wide open. Every hive I've ever had always come and go from the far left side of the entrance. Probably using 2-3" of the entrance. I've always noticed that. But this one swarm I got a few months ago uses the far right side of the entrance to come and go. Just an observation.

Hey look a penny.
    Chuck Norris has a grizzly bear carpet in his room. The bear isn't dead it is just afraid to move.

Default Re: Dumb Observation

Interesting.

Have you ever used a floating light to fish at night? it attracts small fish then bigger ones come in to eat the smaller ones. The fish always swim counter clockwise around the light.
    Just made me think of that.

Hambone.... you have waaaaay too much time on your hands! lol

Interesting.

If the hives are facing the same way, maybe the left hand side is closer/has a beeline to the first or the major flow contributor. The swarm could be locked in on whatever was blooming when you hived it and uses the opposite side as a force of habbit. Just a guess, though. It would be interesting to see of the swarm changes sides in the spring.

Hives wouldn't need releveling would they?

I only have two hives sitting side by side.....one uses the left and the other uses the right....go figure....which I really don't care which side they use...just bring in the nectar

when I reduce mine for the winter....after I open them all the way up, They use the same side that it was reduced to for the rest of the year...pretty much like you say only a few inches of one side.

Quote Originally Posted by FlowerPlanter View Post
    Interesting.

Have you ever used a floating light to fish at night? it attracts small fish then bigger ones come in to eat the smaller ones. The fish always swim counter clockwise around the light.
    Just made me think of that.
    Do you suppose they would swim around clockwise in the southern hemisphere?