Thread: garbage bees

Default garbage bees

I have some pretty nasty neighbors at times that scatter trash from there house to the ally, so there trash bags are usually ripped open and garbage all over. The last two days have went to my ally to throw the trash and I have noticed my bees in the trash can along with all the flies. I know the flow is low, but man I would hate to eat honey that is made from something coming out of my neighbors trash. Has anyone else ever noticed this, and what did you do to stop this from happening if you did?

Default Re: garbage bees

There was a post on here about some well meaning person wanting to put out sugar water for the honey bees in the area. Forum members discouraged it because, well, for obvious reasons.

Either way, the point is that you cannot do one thing about where your bees choose to forage. The best you can do is talk to your neighbors and ask them for the sake of your bees to not strew their coke cans all over Amarillo.

Also, the remnants of one household's garbage isn't going to be enough to affect anything. I wouldn't worry about it.
    Try it. What could happen?

nater, I hear you, but if that grosses you out don't ever eat pork. Just saying...

yeah...you see bees getting something from some pretty gross places sometimes.....but when I was a kid some of the old folks had a saying it went something like "making sugar from S#$&."

The bees sure know how to make that nasty stuff taste good!

When Ricky collected trash on trailer park boys he was always stung by bees.

hehehe, thanks guys don't feel much better about it. Just hope there is not a twangy taste in the honey next year :P

OUr neighbors had a big party one night and left all sorts of half drunk alcohol setting around. About 10 am I noticed an alwful lot of bees bumping into the hives and me. After a few minutes I figured out they were crossing the alley-guzzling the mixed drinks then staggering home. I wonder if bees have hangovers.

If you're worried about bees sipping some old coke out of the trash, I probably shouldn't mention that if there isn't a good water source nearby they will happily land on animal feces to suck up some water.

Yes, your bees will sip on gourmet dog crap and bring it back to the hive for you.

Just remember that honey is anti-bacterial and its all been processed, and you'll be fine.
    Beekeeper since 2013. Read my bee blog at:
    http://harrisonbayhoney.blogspot.com

Quote Originally Posted by Edymnion View Post
    I probably shouldn't mention that if there isn't a good water source nearby they will happily land on animal feces to suck up some water.

Yes, your bees will sip on gourmet dog crap and bring it back to the hive for you.

I see this on a daily basis, but I didn't want to mention it because...the YUCK factor!...and it's funny...they will drink from the stream nearby, and the clean water in the dog bucket...BUT for some reason it seems like they prefer the dog pen floor!

Quote Originally Posted by jimsteelejr View Post
    OUr neighbors had a big party one night and left all sorts of half drunk alcohol setting around. About 10 am I noticed an alwful lot of bees bumping into the hives and me. After a few minutes I figured out they were crossing the alley-guzzling the mixed drinks then staggering home. I wonder if bees have hangovers.
    That's funny

We had a recycling cage for aluminum cans. I noticed that the bees liked Mt Dew more than Coke or Dr Pepper. Also, the bees would go into a frenzy over the soda.
    Zone 6b; Elv.3,600 ft.(1,097m); AA Rain 20.36 in. (51.72 cm)

Quote Originally Posted by Needo View Post
    I noticed that the bees liked Mt Dew more than Coke or Dr Pepper. Also, the bees would go into a frenzy over the soda.
    That reminds me of the old joke in college we wildlife/zoology majors would tell the new pre-med students.

"You know why you have to pee so fast after drinking lots of beer?"
    They would give all these good answers and we would laugh "No dumb $$, you body just don't have to change the color of it" - Got us a lot blank looks and they really thought we were the dummy.

But maybe that is why bees like mountain dew better, they don't have to change the color of it as much as coke or Dr P.

I know bees go after used coffee grounds if there was any of that in it. I think they use it for propolis.
    Stuart Ratcliff - Ratcliff Beekeeping Facebook page

They love my compost pile. Posted a pic in the spring of it.

Quote Originally Posted by jimsteelejr View Post
    Some of my bees are belligerent drunks!