Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Default Re: Inner cover burr comb

That's an inner cover? Looks like a migratory cover to me. Not to be too overly picky.

Clicked on it. They call it a cover.

B1C is the inner cover and it is not flat, but framed.
    Mark Berninghausen #youmatter

Mark is correct. My post #20 did not show a Rossman "inner" cover.

However, the assembly instructions for the Bee Commerce "Inner cover" linked below clearly reference the flat side.
    http://www.bee-commerce.com/content/...InnerCover.pdf

Also Brushy Mountain sells an inner cover with one flat side:
    http://www.brushymountainbeefarm.com...oductinfo/671/

If the photo and description of the BM inner cover doesn't convince you its got one flat side, be sure to read the review comments from customer Ray Hopper.

Last edited by Rader Sidetrack; 10-24-2013 at 06:01 AM. Reason: add link to BM flat inner cover
    Graham
    USDA Zone 7A Elevation 1400 ft

Quote Originally Posted by sqkcrk View Post
    but isn't the "standard" inner cover a sheet of thin plywood w/ a hand hole in the middle, what Brian calls a feed hole, inside of a wooden frame?
    I call it a feed hole because I read somewhere that the hole was put in the cover for feeding not to use as a hand hole. There are covers that are solid (no hole). Mark there have been times when the bees would not go down. It may be because I work bees in cooler weather and the smoke goes up rather than cast across the top of the frames. I do not like blasting the smoker because it makes the smoke hot.

Rader your post numbers are mucked up. Some post must have been deleted. One of your reference shows a lip. The other I don't find.
    Brian Cardinal
    Zone 5a, Practicing non-intervention beekeeping

I can't speak to the original reason why the hole was put in the inner cover, but it is the shape it is so a Bee Escape fits in it. Which makes the inner cover useful when taking off honey, by installing the bee escape and putting the inner cover under a super of honey overnight.

I don't know what other folks who have been familiar w/ beekeeping equipment and terminology for 30 years call that hole, but I have always called it a hand hole. Calling it a "feed hole" implies that it is used in feeding bees. There are better ways of doing that. Another discussion.

Quote Originally Posted by Acebird View Post
    Rader your post numbers are mucked up.
    Allow me to quote Ace ...

You better check on that.
    My post numbers are correct. Try reading them again.

Both the links in post #22 work fine for me. If you want to read the Bee Commerce link, be aware that it is a .PDF file and you need to have Adobe Reader installed/available to read the PDF document. If you want to install Reader, it is available for free at this Adobe link:
    http://get.adobe.com/reader/
    Graham

Quote Originally Posted by Rader Sidetrack View Post
    This post originally linked to a Rossman Apiaries flat cover. However, as Mark points out in post #21, the Rossman cover is not an "inner" cover. See post #22 for links to a Bee Commerce flat side inner cover, and also a Brushy Mountain inner cover with one flat side .
    Your post is #20 but you are referencing two post ahead. I can't explain how that happens unless posts were deleted.
    Brian Cardinal

Calling it a "feed hole" implies that it is used in feeding bees. There are better ways of doing that.
    It is my understanding that the hole is used for feeding by the jar. If you have a bee escape why do you need the inner cover under the super?
    Brian Cardinal

What's the oval shaped hole in the inner cover for? Good question. Obviously the bees can go in and out, but there is a reason it is oval shaped. We cut our holes perfectly to accommodate a bee escape. This is a small, usually plastic device, that many beekeepers use to get the bees out of the honey supers just prior to removing the supers full of honey. Here's how it works.
    First, when you see that your honey super is sealed or capped with wax, you know it is ready to be harvested. But, there are still bees crawling over it. So, simply take the inner cover off, insert the bee escape in the oval shaped hole, and place the inner cover (rim up) under the super or supers you wish to remove. The bee escape is designed so that the bees can walk through the escape, but cannot get back in. Over the course of 3-5 days, most of the bees will be gone out of the super. Pretty cool huh!
    http://www.honeybeesonline.com/blesson4.html

I got my answer Mark.
    Brian Cardinal

Your post is #20 but you are referencing two post ahead. I can't explain how that happens unless posts were deleted.
    Ace, remember: "Reading is FUNdamental"!

Note this on the bottom of my post #20:
    Last edited by Rader Sidetrack; Today at 07:56 AM. Reason: correction
    No posts were deleted. My post #20 was edited/corrected after I saw Mark's comment in post #21. I try to get my posts as accurate as I can. Perhaps you should consider that concept for your own posts!

And if you look at the timestamps, you will see all of my edits were completed well before your post #23 complaining about my "number" comments.

Last edited by Rader Sidetrack; 10-24-2013 at 03:53 PM. Reason: typo
    Graham

Quote Originally Posted by Rader Sidetrack View Post
    And if you look at the timestamps, you will see all of my edits were completed well before your post #23 complaining about my "number" comments.
    Maybe Barry can explain what happens when you get email notification on when a post was added after you subscribe to a topic. At the time I read your post, #21,#22, and any others did not appear to exist. Yours was the last post. So from what I was seeing you were referencing posts that did not exist even though they did. It is not until I visit besourse from another link that the new post appear. Sorry for the confusion.
    Brian Cardinal

My post #20 is the last post on the page if you have your posts per page set at the Beesource default of 20 posts per page. (This is set in your account "Settings".)

There are times when I look at post #20 (or post 40, 60, etc) without noticing that there are more posts on the next page of the thread. Perhaps this happens to other people also.

I mostly use the "New Posts" page, and I have noticed that the "New Posts" page does not always immediately update when a new post is made to a particular thread.
    Graham

If you have a bee escape why do you need the inner cover under the super?
    Look up bee escapes in bee supply catalogs and you should find one that will fit into the hand hole of an inner cover.

I can only imagine you think that there is only one kind of bee escape? The kind that is a board the same size as the super? There are a number of different kinds of bee escapes.

The Dave Cushman website has details about a remarkable variety of bee escapes:
    http://www.dave-cushman.net/bee/clearerboards.html

Only some of those escapes are intended to fit into an oval hole in an inner cover. The "Porter" escape and its cousins are oval shaped.
    Graham

I can only imagine you think that there is only one kind of bee escape?
    No I didn't think there was only one but I didn't realize there was one to fit the hole because I don't believe the holes are all the same.
    I found the one you speak of. See the link in my post #28.
    Brian Cardinal

I believe if you buy an inner cover from a professional beekeeping equipment manufacturer all the holes are the same size and shape for the bee escapes. The only time I have other holes in inner covers is from home made equipment, at which time they vary in size and sometimes shapes. Even the local Amish box guys use the size/shape for bee escapes in their inner covers. Less of course you start getting into specialty inner covers for say overwintering singles atop of doubles. Those inner covers aren't really traditional innercovers though.

No I didn't think there was only one but I didn't realize there was one to fit the hole because I don't believe the holes are all the same.
    I hope you do now. Now that it has been explained to you.