Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Inner cover burr comb

Does anyone else get this? All my hives have this enmasse. Not just a little but it almost looks like barricades. I usually just leave it there but am thinking maybe scrape it off before winter. They are small thick wide pieces. Not one continuous piece of comb. Fairly normal??

Default Re: Inner cover burr comb

I have a few hives that did it, they were 100% filled and I think they needed more room. Did not want to add on this close to winter.

Yes, sounds like they ran out of room. I would leave them alone, as it this point in time those are stores. Clean them up in the spring.

In the spring scrap the heavy's then take a weed torch to it and melt in the rest. Cleans them up nice.
    David

They are not out of space. This has been going on most of the summer and they have never been crowded. If anything, the opposite. More room than needed in the hives. I guess I will leave as it is close to winter and seems I should stop poking around in them.

Do you have notches in the cover and or a feed hole? They may be trying to close off drafts.
    Brian Cardinal
    Zone 5a, Practicing non-intervention beekeeping

what kind of inner cover are you using. The ones with a sheet of plywood with the sides only on top, so that the plywood goes right on top of the frames, create less burr comb than the inner covers that have the plywood in the middle with the sides above and below the plywood, if that makes any sense, it violates the bee space and they make more burr comb.
    mike syracuse ny
    I went to bed mean, and woke up meaner. Marshal Dillon

Did you keep the flat side of the inner cover down in summer during the time they will fill any void wider than a bee space with comb.

Why are you guys talking about a flat side? My inner covers have a 1/4 lip / space on each side. The frames hang down 1/16 to 1/8 so that makes no more than 3/8 inch space between the top of the frames and the inner cover. Is that not normal bee space? If your inner cover has no lip then you would surely crush bees every time you put it on.
    Brian Cardinal

I have some inner covers that have the same spacing on each side while others are flat on one side and recessed on the other. I find that the bees sometimes make ridges of burr comb on the inner cover. Rarely do they make a ton of it. When I inspect I just scrape it off. The only time I've had a real problem was when the distance from the top of the frame to the cover was excessive. It happened on some homemade boxes when I cut the rabbet out too deep. I added frame rests and that pretty much solved the problem.
    "My wife always wanted girls. Just not thousands and thousands of them......"

I have often wondered about the distance from the top of the frame to the top edge of the super ,I have built all my own boxes and never had a factory box to look at ,cutting the rabbet to deep could cause a problem , is the factory keeping frames flush with sides or recessed and if so how much .

There really is no "standard" spec adhered to by major manufacturers of hive bodies. The evidence is in this study comparing boxes across major manufacturers:
    http://www.beeculture.com/content/BeeSpaceArticle.pdf

If you are building your own equipment, free plans with all dimensions are available in the Build It Yourself section:
    http://www.beesource.com/build-it-yo...-barry-birkey/

The link above incorporates plans for all the components in a normal hive, and as far as I can tell, maintains "bee space" between each individual component. If you mix n' match with commercial products, you will need to do your own QC.
    Graham
    USDA Zone 7A Elevation 1400 ft

"Why are you guys talking about a flat side?"

Maybe this: http://www.brushymountainbeefarm.com...ductinfo/W671/

I always scrape the inside of my inner covers smooth. The bur comb will act as dripping points during the winter. I scrape them in November as the last act of the season. I also place a 3/4 inch block under the back corners of the hive so it slopes slightly. The condensed moisture will run to the front of the hive and down the front wall and then out of the hive instead of dripping onto the cluster.
    Dave

Thanks for the link to measurements , I'll have to check into my bee space this winter when building more boxes.

I think mine is the type with ply in the middle and sides above and below. The middle ply piece is not flush with the top and bottom. I dont think though I am going back into my hives again, unless we hit a warm spell. Supposed to be high 39 and low 37 Sat. Good day to fill my bow tag.

Quote Originally Posted by NewbeeInNH View Post
    "Why are you guys talking about a flat side?"

Maybe this: http://www.brushymountainbeefarm.com...ductinfo/W671/
    They state a "shallow side". That implies it is not flat. More like a 5/16 to 3/8 lip. I even see a notch which would be useless if it were flat.
    Brian Cardinal

Quote Originally Posted by Acebird View Post
    Why are you guys talking about a flat side?
    you have to get out more, have been around on beesource at least since 2002.

http://www.beesource.com/forums/arch.../t-188839.html
    mike syracuse ny
    I went to bed mean, and woke up meaner. Marshal Dillon

I don't get around and into a lot of different beehives like I used to, but isn't the "standard" inner cover a sheet of thin plywood w/ a hand hole in the middle, what Brian calls a feed hole, inside of a wooden frame? One side of the inner cover is deeper than the other, isn't it?

I guess I have seen ones that are flat on one side and indented on the other side too. So I guess there is some variety in the way inner covers are built.

I don't know why anyone would be surprised that Brian has only seen the one kind. Try educating instead of criticizing.

Brian, the use of a flat sided inner cover won't really kill any more bees. Not if one smokes them down between the frames before putting it on. Regular hive manipulations kill bees, but not enough to make a difference to the colony, usually.

If one has an inner cover w/ a deep side and a shallow side or one w/ a flat side and a deep side you can avoid burr comb build up by putting the flat side or shallow side down during the honey season. Then flip it for the Winter so bees can more easily move up over the top of the frames over onto honey. Makes space for a protein patty, if you use them.
    Mark Berninghausen "Ships at a distance have every man's wish on board." Zora Neale Hurston

This post originally linked to a Rossman Apiaries flat cover. However, as Mark points out in post #21, the Rossman cover is not an "inner" cover. See post #22 for links to a Bee Commerce flat side inner cover, and also a Brushy Mountain inner cover with one flat side .
    Last edited by Rader Sidetrack; 10-24-2013 at 05:56 AM. Reason: correction
    Graham
    USDA Zone 7A Elevation 1400 ft

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast