Default Should I close bottom of TBH

First year beekeeper. I have a 48" long TBH that has a screen bottom on it that runs the entire length. It has been left completely open the entire year and now that cooler weather (40's) is being forecast here in north Georgia, I need to know when and how much of it to cover up.

Default Re: Should I close bottom of TBH

Cover it all and leave the entrance open. May want to provide ventillation through the top bars by adding a "fake bar" with screened over holes towards the rear (past the combs). Then it may be a good idea to prop the cover with a couple of shims.

Different areas have different requirements, I am a couple hundred miles south of you. Mr. Beeman is right, the most important thing is top ventilation so the moist air can escape. As for bottom ventilation you could winter with completely open bottoms, but I have went to screening the middle third ( about fifteen inches for a 48" box ) and closing in the rest. I did this to keep new splits from absconding. I have learned to not think in terms of keeping the bees warm, but think in terms of keeping the moister from condensing and dripping on the bees, wet bees die within hours, maybe minutes. Many ways to do this, I just bore a 1 1/8" hole at the top on each end and cover with # 8 wire, but I think the "fake bar" suggested by Mr. beeman is the best solution for you.

If the tops are insulated well enough condensation will be minimal, even with very little or no ventilation thru the top.