Default Numbering Queens

How do they attach the number tags to queen bees and are there any disadvantages to using them.

Default Re: Numbering Queens

I'm betting super glue. I have a few bought queens with them, I don't see any disadvantage unless they fall off.

I have heard you use super glue. One bit of advice. thin super glue sets faster. faster setting glue creates heat. I have seen super glue get so hot it smoked. not often but it does happen. This is the latest person carrying on a program I started years ago selling very low cost super glue. Don't be surprised if your order arrives with a free piece of wood or some other item in it. I started this program in support of pen turners that where making pens to send to our troops in Irag and Afghanistan.
    Stand for what you believe, even if you stand alone.

I have never done it but Lauri posted a while back about doing it with archery fetching glue. I have no idea how or if it differs from super or tissue glue.
    Janne....first hives April 2013, 19 hives, treat, plant zone 8b, at sea level, latitude 49.13, longitude 123.06

I've got some of these numbers at home, but I'm not sure how to properly install them. I haven't had any luck finding videos depicting it either.

Here's the thread where Lauri mentions the glue:

http://www.beesource.com/forums/show...rafting-so-far
    Post #17
    Graham
    --- Victor Hugo - "Common sense is in spite of, not the result of, education.”

In general, kind of working on what Daniel says, the faster the product sets, the more heat it gives off. Some of the UV resins might work well but I know they generate heat as well when activated. The fast setting cyanoacrylates are probably best for this application. I've never noticed any heat when sticking my fingers together anyways....

Sorry folks. I forgot to include the link to the glue.
    http://www.exoticblanks.com/Wooden-Wonders-CA-Glues/

I have burned myself with it. you have to get it fairly thick or a couple of layers or more that it is getting thicker and thicker usually. A half ounce bottle would be enough to mark hundreds of queens. It will last a very long time if you refrigerate it or store it on a shelf with the cap off. Yes I said off. I know that seems like it would not work but I have kept it that way for years. The main problem is having a shelf where it is secure enough to never get spilled.
    Stand for what you believe, even if you stand alone.

I started II this past season and had the same question. I searched and found that many recommended Titebond II or III. They strongly suggested against using the glues that come in some of the number kits. I used TB III in my work and it worked great - zero lost disks. However, please note that these disks were attached while the queen was anesthetized by CO2. I don't believe you could do this on a queen that was actively moving around.
    Horseshoe Point Honey -- http://localvahoney.com/