Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

queen not mated???

4K views 8 replies 6 participants last post by  JRG13 
#1 ·
To start, I am new to beekeeping. I was fortunate enough to get my first hive by capturing a swarm in my neighbors yard this spring. They were doing fantastic until about 3 months ago when i went to move them to a new location and they were extremely aggressive. I have never once seen this behavior with this hive and usually went out to inspect them with just a tshirt and no veil. Well, after I suited up and moved them, they then attacked my family and dog. I thought maybe they were africanized but they just werent that aggressive. I was told by a beekeeper I should split the hive and kill the queen and let them make a new one and it will restore the gentleness in the bees. So i did exactly that, i split the hive and smashed the old queen. both hives have made queens now and the original is even more aggressive. the new hive is gentle but i havent seen any eggs in the comb and its been almost a month. has she not been mated yet? or is she defective at this point?

#4 ·
That is getting late. I would not have offed the old queen as the first step, I would have moved her out to a nuc. Do florida queens shut down now? Here a shut down queen would be good, but not many would be doing splits then.
Do you have a source of a gentle queen or queen cell? Strong probability that a hot queen will have hot daughters.
Florida keepers?

#5 ·
I don't understand the rationale of splitting the hive. I would have just killed the queen they make a new one. Large hive will make better queens than smaller splits.

Or I would have split out the "mean" queen into a small 2 frame nuc. Then let the original colony rear the queens.

Try putting on some 1:1 to get the new queen laying. If theres no food she won't lay.

#9 ·
Smaller hives tend to be less aggressive, which is why you break down larger hot hives. I would've requeened with commercial stock personally. Also, sometimes after moves, bees can be more pissy than usual which may have contributed or they're low on stores too.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.