Default Winter tunnel and water -original Langstroth book

I like to read a lot so...Even though I only have one top bar hive so far I'm reading Langstroth's original book ,1810-1895,published by Dover. In all the modern bee keeping books I've read in the last 3 years and all the you-tubes and all the forums I've Never seen this! #1 Paraphrasing pg 337; He says 'bees cannot be depended on to make passage in winter from their small brood out to their honey stores. So,the Apiaian should,late in the Fall,cut with a penknife the center of each comb,one third from the top, a one inch hole for their winter passage to honey combs!'
    HAS ANYONE EVER TRIED THIS !?! I think it sounds brilliant! If a person cut a couple of combs a day or something,it seems they could pull them and close up quick without having the hive open too long in the cold. #2 Also he notes on pg 343 (from a German beekeeper's translation) that 'bees with crystallized honey found on the bottom board in winter may not be getting enough Water and late winter brood rearing for Spring may stop and the remaining bees may die off from dehydration or cold'. An experiment back then where some hives were given water in January resulted in healthy colony growth for the Spring and many hives left alone (in the same place) died.

Winter starvation with stores nearby or winter death are so common I just thought these 200 year old tips were fascinating!!! HB

Default Re: Winter tunnel and water -original Langstroth book

Thanks for sharing! That makes a lot of sense for areas that it doesn't get above 50 for weeks at a time. I have noticed on a couple of my bars the bees have made a passageway under the bar wedge in the center. I think I may have done my last full inspection of the year but if I do go in again I will try it on one or two of the nucs.

Bees need water. Usually those bees out and about, not going to the bathroom in early spring are gathering water for brood.

The girls in late february and march gathered condensation that dripped down the cold frame windows onto wood. The wood was saturated and warmed from the sun. A constant flow of 20-30 bees and it was still cold 50f max. They will fly in cold temps as long as its sunny.

Cutting a passage through the combs sure makes senses in a cold winter climate. Here in mid-Atlantic we have a good many 50+F days through Jan-Feb, so it is not as likely to be a problem.