Thread: Holes in comb

Default Holes in comb

What makes, what looks like perfect little holes about the diameter of a
    22 bullet in comb. Found 2 frames in my doomed hive. It looks queen less. Lots of drones in the hive. A few capped cells and no eggs or larve.

Default Re: Holes in comb

A 22 bullet? I have found small holes (& some larger) in some frames, usually corresponding to holes in the next frame. I believe the bees do this on purpose to have access to the other side of the frame without traveling all the way around. In the winter cluster, I can see how this would be very beneficial.
    Please excuse me, I am now free to go manage & treat :)
    my ladies the best way I know how.

Sometimes the bees will chew foundation and comb to get wax to cap brood or honey. When a good flow starts they usually repair the holes. Like fieldsofnaturalhoney said, the bees use the hole to travel from comb to comb also. I think the holes are sometimes called "communication holes".

Ohhhh... ok. Thought maybe beetles or moths might have done it. I don't know if there are moths, don't think so, but there are beetles. One frame had a few holes. The holes are right in the center of the cells. Thanks!!

just as long as it's the bees who are having target practice and not the moths or beetles!!